Toned Coins

halfdollar

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone should start a "toned coin only" PCI.

Didn't you know there is a toned coin forum? Not sure of the exact name but it is a forum dedicated to toned coins. Myself, I'm a coin collector and when ever I get a toned coin, into a cleaning solution it goes. Sorry about that to the toned people but I just think coins should look the way they did when they came from the mint.

Didn't you know there is a toned coin forum? Not sure of the exact name but it is a forum dedicated to toned coins. Myself, I'm a coin collector and when ever I get a toned coin, into a cleaning solution it goes. Sorry about that to the toned people but I just think coins should look the way they did when they came from the mint.

I understand not liking colourful toned coins, but why do you want to make a coin look like the way it did when it left the mint? For older coins 100 years+ that just isn't natural, unless they are gold. If I see a coin that isn't unc and has no toning on it, then it just screams cleaned to me, if a coin is worn, it means it has been out and about so naturally it should have acquired toning of some sort.

If you had a nice antique table would you sand it down to make it look new?

Sorry Carl I'm not having a go its just I have never managed to understand the "blast white" phenomenon.

Hus

If you had a nice antique table would you sand it down to make it look new?

My thoughts precisely, although I can understand not liking artificial toning.

So guys let me in on how you make these tone? I mean, the first dollars have beautiful toning and they just aren't that old. You have a technique to make these tone faster? Let me in on it... ;)

While there are many coin doctors out there turning these ASE's into crazy wild toners

there are many natural toned Silver Eagles that are truly beautiful.

I imagine that since these are .999 silver they will tone quicker and more than Morgans or Peace dollars.

But, this is only my opinion :ninja:

Maybe that would explain why the Mexican Onza's tone so strongly as well.

1eafc47a.jpg

77e0056a-2.jpg

Na, its one that is in my 7070 type set, maybe MS64

Its much prettier in hand

Here's one of my toned Indians. I like the spectacular colors of yours, but the subtle tones of this one are also very appealing to me:

Indian_Head_Cent_1889.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Your kidding of course. I thought everyone knew about the TCforum. It's for toned coins only.

No actually. Seems like most of the winning submissions in our "Popular Coin Idol" contests are toned coins. I think toning is a polarizing enough topic that it would merit two divisions in PCI contests. Heavily toned coins only in one division and untoned/white coins in another.

Kinda like Men's basketball leagues vs. Women's b-ball leagues! :ninja: (PLEASE Someone build on that analogy!)

• 2 weeks later...
Who like them :ninja:

I'll start with some ASE's

Post any toned coin, if you have them

6baef9df.jpg

ba687642.jpg

431b86b4.jpg

bdf261ea.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

tonedmintsetsmoker.jpg

18171Tornese.jpg18171Torneserev2.jpg

1817_1_Tornese.jpg

1817_1_Tornese_rev_2.jpg

In laymans terms, Can sombody explain the process of toning, and when it starts and stops (ie, if I have a very slighty toned coin will it continue to tone?)