CoinPeople.com

Major Russian collection to be auctioned in December...

bobh

Someone who works at a local coin shop here in Zurich said today that there would be an "important Russian collection" auctioned in December in Geneva. Does anyone know any more details? :ninja:

Hello Bob,

Saw your post and couldn't resist. I even had to join the forum today to be able to answer. And I don't regret it a bit because I really wanted to do it long ago, just needed the right opportunity to forget about my not always adequate English.

Yes, there will be a VERY important auction here in December (2-3 December), it is a bi-annual event which takes place at one of the best Geneva hotels. It is organised by Numismatica Genevensis SA - Geneva Numismatics Society. Their catalogue is not ready yet but they are working hard on it and when I went to see them last time they let me hold an incredible FDC rouble of that old and ugly Anna Ioannovna and a gorgeous Family Rouble of such a beauty that it takes your breath away. They also offered me to buy a "Mourning" Rouble in not very high grade (IMHO) for 3 000 Swiss Francs which I stupidly refused and will regret forever. But they are nice, friendly and very knowlegible people and a very good guidance for someone like me who is practically null in collecting coins.

I also want to salute everybody and all of you who have made my last six months fruitful and enjoyable. As I wrote in the presentation post, I live and work in Geneva, and started my collection 6 months ago when everybody normal have already sold almost everythig. I love Russian silver roubles, Morgan dollars and Swiss coins that I mostly find in my purse or in my husband's pockets (my oldest find in a pretty decent coin of 1893).

Sorry for so many words but I am just too happy to join you all.

Olga

It will be interesting to see how they list the estimates in the catalog.

Did anyone else notice that the most recent Moneti and Medali auction saw results, in most cases, very close to estimated, many coins going for exactly the estimate. I am wondering if this is a trend in prices, leveling out, or that M&M is just using higher estimates based on current price levels.

Hello Bob,

Saw your post and couldn't resist. I even had to join the forum today to be able to answer. And I don't regret it a bit because I really wanted to do it long ago, just needed the right opportunity to forget about my not always adequate English.

Yes, there will be a VERY important auction here in December (2-3 December), it is a bi-annual event which takes place at one of the best Geneva hotels. It is organised by Numismatica Genevensis SA - Geneva Numismatics Society. Their catalogue is not ready yet but they are working hard on it and when I went to see them last time they let me hold an incredible FDC rouble of that old and ugly Anna Ioannovna and a gorgeous Family Rouble of such a beauty that it takes your breath away. They also offered me to buy a "Mourning" Rouble in not very high grade (IMHO) for 3 000 Swiss Francs which I stupidly refused and will regret forever. But they are nice, friendly and very knowlegible people and a very good guidance for someone like me who is practically null in collecting coins.

I also want to salute everybody and all of you who have made my last six months fruitful and enjoyable. As I wrote in the presentation post, I live and work in Geneva, and started my collection 6 months ago when everybody normal have already sold almost everythig. I love Russian silver roubles, Morgan dollars and Swiss coins that I mostly find in my purse or in my husband's pockets (my oldest find in a pretty decent coin of 1893).

Sorry for so many words but I am just too happy to join you all.

Olga

Welcome to CoinPeople, Olga! :ninja:

Thanks for the details regarding this auction. I remember that the last NGSA auction brought incredibly strong prices, and there were about 800 lots, IIRC!

My oldest Swiss coin from circulation so far was 10 cents (or "Rappen", for the German terminology) of 1908! I received it in change at a store in the underground passageway of the train station at the city where I work. This was sometime in 1999 or 2000, I believe. A few months later, I also got a 20 cent coin of 1912 in my change money ... from the very same store! That was the end of my lucky series for a long time until one day I got a very nice 50 cent silver coin of 1967, again at that store.

I sometimes wonder if they put those coins there on purpose so that people would always come back again? ;)

• 2 months later...
Someone who works at a local coin shop here in Zurich said today that there would be an "important Russian collection" auctioned in December in Geneva. Does anyone know any more details? :ninja:

The Auction#5 you can find : http://www.ngsa.ch/index.php?option=com_ph...ie&Itemid=0

Nice and rare coins ;)

I received my catalog today. 320+ lots of Russian coins. Many very important coins. Soon will find out if very important coins are recession-proof (no pun intended ;))

Well, first time in 2008 I enjoy view the coins and medals ,and have find more then 5 coins I’m interesting ;) .By the way I don't remember GM medal of 1906 from privies sales, possible Valentine had mention in his article :ninja: .

Well, first time in 2008 I enjoy view the coins and medals ,and have find more then 5 coins I’m interesting ;) .By the way I don't remember GM medal of 1906 from privies sales, possible Valentine had mention in his article :ninja: .

;) I've never even heard of these: http://www.ngsa.ch/index.php?option=com_ph...53&Itemid=0

Too bad there's almost no copper.

:ninja: I've never even heard of these: http://www.ngsa.ch/index.php?option=com_ph...53&Itemid=0

Too bad there's almost no copper.

Last time on Gorny Auction was very strong bidding on USSR pattern coins, coins can be find in Fedorin catalog. Петров Л.Ф., Федорин А.И., "Монеты страны советов, тиражные монеты специального чекана 1921-1991 годов".or, "Монеты страны советов".

Rarenum.

The Auction#5 you can find : http://www.ngsa.ch/index.php?option=com_ph...ie&Itemid=0

Nice and rare coins ;)

Incredibly nice ... ;) ... when was the last time anybody saw a 10 rouble gold coin of 1906 offered for sale?

http://www.ngsa.ch/index.php?option=com_ph...17&Itemid=0

Thanks for the link, RARENUM! ;) I received the printed catalog in the meantime, and it is very nicely done. I think they don't list all the coins on the internet ... ?? :ninja:

Incredibly nice ... ;) ... when was the last time anybody saw a 10 rouble gold coin of 1906 offered for sale?

http://www.ngsa.ch/index.php?option=com_ph...17&Itemid=0

Thanks for the link, RARENUM! ;) I received the printed catalog in the meantime, and it is very nicely done. I think they don't list all the coins on the internet ... ?? :ninja:

There is a link on the right top - complete catalog. Click on that and download complete catalog in PDF format.

Thank you for the link. ;)

Now i can complete my date run of 12 Ruble Platinum... (no less than 5 for sale!)

:ninja:;)

Here is my IMXO, see if you agree...

Better than other western auctions so far. Still, only a few truly interesting and rare coins and almost no copper... Gold coins and medals are superb. I believe they save the Russian section of this auction. Otherwise, it would fade in comparison with #4.

Pugachev 1771 appears again? or not -- cannot tell if this is the same coin, for I do not have that auction catalog handy. I believe that some other coins also re-appear. Will check tonight. Possibly did not reach the reserve price last time. On a good note: 3 kop 1827 is out of this world. 1836 family 1 1/2 appears to be an original -- no die break. 1811 1/2 is very nice to see (75 rubles and all...), but does not look very spectacular for a pattern -- could be my computer... Will look it up to see from which collection it came, for it looks very familiar. As usual, condition of the coins and medals is superbe. GO Alain!!!

Pugachev 1771 appears again? or not -- cannot tell if this is the same coin, for I do not have that auction catalog handy.

There is also a Sestroretsk rouble for sale ... I noticed that the estimate for the Pugachev rouble is much higher. Is this normal? I would have thought that Sestroretsk rouble would be rarer ... not that it makes any difference, because I really don't know anything about these coins, and they are certainly outside the realm of my possibilities! :ninja:

There is also a Sestroretsk rouble for sale ... I noticed that the estimate for the Pugachev rouble is much higher. Is this normal? I would have thought that Sestroretsk rouble would be rarer ... not that it makes any difference, because I really don't know anything about these coins, and they are certainly outside the realm of my possibilities! :ninja:

Both are novodels, but Pugachev appears very rarely.(IMXO)

Both are novodels, but Pugachev appears very rarely.(IMXO)

I'm always surprised that the so called "Pugachev" rouble brings high prices since it is a total fabrication whereas the copper rouble was really a government plan which didn't work. Even though all the available copper roubles are novodels, at least they represent originals that do exist in the Hermitage. So, in my opinion, the "Pugachev" rouble really isn't a novodel at all; it's a "mint sport" piece, strictly an oddity.

Marv Finnley

I'm always surprised that the so called "Pugachev" rouble brings high prices since it is a total fabrication whereas the copper rouble was really a government plan which didn't work. Even though all the available copper roubles are novodels, at least they represent originals that do exist in the Hermitage. So, in my opinion, the "Pugachev" rouble really isn't a novodel at all; it's a "mint sport" piece, strictly an oddity.

Marv Finnley

But it's portable! :ninja:

Pugachev 1771 appears again? or not -- cannot tell if this is the same coin, for I do not have that auction catalog handy. !!

It is indeed back. This Pugachev is the same coin that was sold as Lot 1270 in Auction #4 (same auction house) in Dec 06. Went for $58,000 last time.

A different one sold in NY this year for $100,000.

BTW, the Pugachev's uprising began in 1773. Why is the silver rouble made with the Sestrortsk rouble's dies known as the Pugachev rouble?

It doesn't have much to do with Pugachev at all. According to Diakov (who quotes Zander) it was a mint-produced fantasy struck using the Sestroretsk Rouble dies. The Pugachev link was made up, presumably to endow it with a better story.

Steve

1811 1/2 is very nice to see (75 rubles and all...), but does not look very spectacular for a pattern -- could be my computer... Will look it up to see from which collection it came, for it looks very familiar.

This 1811 looks quite different from the Aalborg coin. I have my doubts about both of them now! :ninja:

This 1811 looks quite different from the Aalborg coin. I have my doubts about both of them now! ;)

Well, that's what I get for not getting up and going to my library. :ninja: I am rightly advised by my good friend BKB that there were several types of this pattern, all prepared in haste, explaining the crude lettering on the NGSA coin (a shame because the NGSA eagle is very nice), and the crude eagle on the Aalborg coin (a shame because the Aalborg lettering is very nice).

It doesn't have much to do with Pugachev at all. According to Diakov (who quotes Zander) it was a mint-produced fantasy struck using the Sestroretsk Rouble dies. The Pugachev link was made up, presumably to endow it with a better story.

Steve

I can add only I have in my knowledge. During Pugachev Revolt in 1771 was taking over and control Ekaterinburg city (Ekaterinburg mint struck in 1771 only copper coins).It is why every body name the Novodel coin as "Pugachev rouble”.

No documents were find for any coins struck under Pugachev on Ekaterinburg mint, but it is possible.

Coin is interesting because was using the same dies as Sestroretsk Rouble and only couple times was on the coin market.

Rarenum.

Archived