CoinPeople.com

Coin Grading and ebay

Porschenut

Hi all,

Have you seen the new rules for listing coins on e-bay? Apparently if the coin is not graded by one of the official ebay approved grading companies they list I think 4 companies you are not permited to say what you think the grade of the coin is. You have to all it RAW ungraded not certified, So if you have a really great coin and you want to liist it on ebay you have to say something like: 1880-O Morgan Silver Dollar really nice condition but in RAW condition, with shiny surfaces and great ungraded and uncertified eye appeal. You will have to guess what mint state it is in by looking at the small pictures or scans ebay allows. You can't say what the coin lists for in any condition in any book or catalog list or what it last sold for at auction or what you think it is worth.( So the officvial RED book is out, PCGS prices site is out, all other auction catalogs is out.

How the heck are people supposed to sell good quality coins that they have not paid the $35 per coin to get graded by one of the four? For a lot of coins say a Morgan silver dollar the selling price might be $40.. but when you add a grading service cost it becomes not worth it. Or can you see the list price of the coin and then add the grading cost onto the coin. (Yeah right buyers would love that) Grading has always been a very subjective subject. A seller often will see a coin as one grade and the buyer will find every little thing wrong with it to lower the grade. I think what e-bay has done is gone into the coin business. By doing what they are doing they will force the price of uncertified coins down and they will drive thousands of people to have to get one of their approved graders to grade the coiins before they can be listed as say for example an 1880-O MS65. I have an example of a coin that I got in the UK and it came graded from the coin store. Can you look at it and let me know if the gradeing seems to be about right orr why in you opinoion it should he higher or lower. Thanks

1882P__pics_1.jpg

1882P__pics_2.jpg

I believe they let you make statements such as "uncirculated" "about Uncirculated" maybe even a "we think this grades about ..." , etc. At least I have seen it in the body of the page. The only thing they do not allow is to use a grade in the main header. Unless it is graded by one of the "big four". I know I still see slabs from other companies with pictures showing the grade assigned by them. Good clear pictures are the key to selling raw coins anyways. On pictures one of the people I buy from uses a third party hosting company. click on the coin and get a nice size shot of it.

Does this go for Ebay.co.uk? Most collectors here do not accept the American grading companies grading at face value. Too many variations. Plus the practice of 'slabbing' is considered an investment practice that has no place in numismatics. How about Hammered silver coins? I haven't seen a good grading by these companies! :ninja:

Does Ebay have a financial interest in these companies that they plug them like this?

Well if that is applied to the title only, I see no problem with this. It really sucks when some crazy sellers add all those "SUPER, HIGHEST GRADE, UNC, BU++" and etc. for coins that are even not worth a look. These new rules should stop such marketing (if we can call it like this)..

I have an example of a coin that I got in the UK and it came graded from the coin store. Can you look at it and let me know if the gradeing seems to be about right orr why in you opinoion it should he higher or lower. Thanks

You didn't say what grade was given, so I can't say whether it is "about right" or not. Your 1884-P in the images you posted shows nice cartwheels, mint luster and uncirculated detail. There are a few marks in distracting places, though, so I don't know whether it would grade higher than MS-64 without either seeing larger pictures or holding the coin in hand. That would be my estimate, but it could possibly go one or two points in either direction.

As someone else stated, if you have another host to store the images, all you need is a link to that image and your browser will show it regardless of how large it is (assuming it is in JPEG format; browsers usually won't show TIFF or BMP images). Just add the hyperlink and perhaps a thumbnail image to your auction description.

Hello,

Yes the coin that you see was graded BU in England when asked what that was in the American system the store told me they use the definitions given in the Official Red Book by R.S. Yeoman and said it was about MS65 because they considered it "Gem Uncirculated with only light scattered contact marks that are not distracting. Strong luster good eye appeal."(quoted from the book) but they could not be sure what the Americans might think since it was upto each individual to decide themselves. So like you siad could be a little up here and a little down there. I guess you have to ask who's buying and who's selling. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go Fine+, clear signs of cleaning! Plus these are common in higher grades so miracle it sold for more than a fiver in my opinion.

Archived