Grifter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well found another wheat Penny in my change last night a 1948s

1028642.jpg

You have some great places to shop!! WOW! Very nice. :drool:

Eek! I forgot to post the pics when I got home last night! I can fill in a few details, though. The base coin was a bog-standard 1987 which appears to have been drilled out so a ground-down 1997 obverse could be inserted; there's only a little bit of a double rim on the second obverse, and it overall feels just a little thinner than a standard US quarter. The second obverse is about 45° CCW off of medal alignment. Not a bad job overall, whoever did it, although of course a serious conman would have ensured both sides would have the same date.

It of course takes up residence in ik's home for wayward bits of metal, now. :)

Eek! I forgot to post the pics when I got home last night! I can fill in a few details, though. The base coin was a bog-standard 1987 which appears to have been drilled out so a ground-down 1997 obverse could be inserted; there's only a little bit of a double rim on the second obverse, and it overall feels just a little thinner than a standard US quarter. The second obverse is about 45° CCW off of medal alignment. Not a bad job overall, whoever did it, although of course a serious conman would have ensured both sides would have the same date.

It of course takes up residence in ik's home for wayward bits of metal, now. :)

I really enjoy these types of things. I've only found one in all my years of collecting and it's a beauty. I'll do some pics when I get my camera stuff going again.

Here it is!

1028674.jpg

That's pretty nicely done. I imaging doing the first few of these is quite difficult and then repeating the process is pretty easy.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a wheatie in change a few days ago - the first one I've found the old fashioned way in YEARS! Reminds me of the good ol' days when I'd find them several times a week (and still cherished each and every one).

I found a wheatie in change a few days ago - the first one I've found the old fashioned way in YEARS! Reminds me of the good ol' days when I'd find them several times a week (and still cherished each and every one).

Nice find. Frannie finds nice stuff in her change quite often. I very rarely find anything. Keep those wheaties!!!

• 1 month later...

Saved from a circulated state

Silver Ikes ..... YIKES :shock: 2 general 1 proof

331d4pj.jpg

Sweet find! I've always had a soft spot for Ikes. :)

Same here. I especially like the looks of that proof.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little thin on cash this week, so when I stuck my $5 in the machine in the break room, I asked Lucky Pierre to thrill me only a little since I needed the change for bus fare.

Lucky Pierre spat out a 1964D quarter in quite nice condition. Pictures when I get home. :D

Edit: As promised, here it is!

1029995.jpg

I'm a little thin on cash this week, so when I stuck my $5 in the machine in the break room, I asked Lucky Pierre to thrill me only a little since I needed the change for bus fare.

Lucky Pierre spat out a 1964D quarter in quite nice condition. Pictures when I get home. :D

Edit: As promised, here it is!

1029995.jpg

Nice find. :bthumbsup:

:bthumbsup:

All I've got to show for this year thus far is a 69-S cent - not much to write about...

Far better than I'm doing this year :sorry: . Nice find though!! :bthumbsup::yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see those are still floating around. A vending machine at work proudly accepts them. I want to have a few on hand sometime but I never do.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't found in circulation but rather in a friends Father's stash of coins. He brought them to work just to let me see what he had. It was in a little pile of junk ones that he wasn't even going to show me. He just figured it was worthless because it wasn't silver. Neither him nor his dad had any idea the significance of it. It's a shame it is so beat up. But it is the only one I have ever seen. Couldn't believe my eyes. It was only a collection of 30 or so coins. Just hanging with a bunch of run of the mill others,

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG