CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the 2009 DC/Territory quarters are tough, but the AtB quarters are just insane. Are people hoarding them, or what? I've kept every single one I've gotten in change since the program started, and there aren't even a roll's worth, and they've been circulating for four years.

Rarely see them here. We get a lot of quarters recycling because of the newspaper companies in town. They all have those big machines all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...

It was fairly easy collecting all the State Quarters compared to the National Parks series or even the US Territories. It's now been nearly 5 years since the last of the Territory Quarters were released and I still have yet to come across a couple of them.

Same here. I have a complete type set from circulation, but I'm still missing a couple of the territorial issues from Denver: Guam and Northern Marianas Islands will complete my from-circulation set. The National Parks are nearly hopeless -- I've kept every one I've found since they started being issued, and I have only 27. And I go through a LOT of quarters in a week.

We don't see many of the National Parks quarters here. I can not imagine where they all are. I haven't seen a Territories quarter in circulation since the series ended.

I also need the Northern Mariana from Denver, but my other missing one is the Washington DC from Phily. I only need one National Park from 2010, but still half from 2011 and have found only 2 from 2012 and one from 2013!

Incidentally, I am replying to the post by ikaros, I keep hitting the quote button below the post, but it does not show up in my post. Anyone know why this is?

I also need the Northern Mariana from Denver, but my other missing one is the Washington DC from Phily. I only need one National Park from 2010, but still half from 2011 and have found only 2 from 2012 and one from 2013!

Incidentally, I am replying to the post by ikaros, I keep hitting the quote button below the post, but it does not show up in my post. Anyone know why this is?

I have no idea why your quote button isn't working. Works fine for me. Maybe you should try something like logging out and then back in again.

First proof I've had in change for a while! The pop machine spit this out today.

1025390.jpg

Nice find. It's always neat to find a proof in circulation.

And is it just me, or does the mint mark look wonky? Like it's upside down.

Does look strange. Upside down is a good description.

Just got another proof in change. Scan when I get home tonight. This one is a North Dakota SHQ. CuNi rather than Ag unfortunately. Two in just over a week, that's weird.

Just got another proof in change. Scan when I get home tonight. This one is a North Dakota SHQ. CuNi rather than Ag unfortunately. Two in just over a week, that's weird.

That is weird. I wonder if someone lost a large holding of proof sets in your area?

That is weird. I wonder if someone lost a large holding of proof sets in your area?

Dunno. They came out of different but adjoining machines in the break room at work, so they could have been put in by the company, or they could have both come from the same co-worker, and there's really no way of knowing -- I'd like to know how long they've been circulating before I got my hands on them and put them in my Shelter for Wayward Metal Disks...

I just can't imagine a thief thinking, "Oh, these specially sealed really fancy looking coins, they must only be worth face value." I can only assume Junior got into mom's or dad's or elder sibling's collection and had a spree like my uncle did to my dad in the mid-1950s, when he did in fact put an '09S-VDB (among others) in a gumball machine... :cry:

Anyway, the coin...

1025545.jpg

It actually looks a little better in hand; the fields aren't quite so foggy as the scan suggests. Of course, I wouldn't dream of compounding its problems by handling it further. :)

• 2 weeks later...