CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all that I have seen in circulation I have yet to get one of the 2012 colourised examples in change.

Ok, that's good. There is also a $4 silver coins, but I didn't get those. And do you have the $2 coin with the boat?

The RCM released a series for the War of 1812 anniversary with important Canadian figures. 4 of the coins have the colored leaf and 4 have a prooflike picture.

Can you show us some pics of these? They sound very interesting.

These are the coins.

full1_43198.jpg

There is also a $1 coin, $4 set, $10 coin.

War-of-1812-Bicentennial-Silver-Dollars.

They're pretty neat. Are all the quarters normal circulating coins?

Received a UAE One Dirham coin in change at, IIRC Chick-fil-a in Houston last week. Cashier did not seem to notice but I saw it instantly even though it is very, similar to a quarter. I, of course, did not say anything since I always like to pick up some "goodies". Not super exciting but it has been a dry spell recently save for a lot of US FRN Star notes of all denoms but every single one was extremely used.

here's to a better March!

Received a UAE One Dirham coin in change at, IIRC Chick-fil-a in Houston last week. Cashier did not seem to notice but I saw it instantly even though it is very, similar to a quarter. I, of course, did not say anything since I always like to pick up some "goodies". Not super exciting but it has been a dry spell recently save for a lot of US FRN Star notes of all denoms but every single one was extremely used.

Sadly I don't get anything interesting, only new coins.

Hi Capt. Glad to see you're active again. Keep searching and updating us. I check my change regularly and haven't found anything interesting in a long long time. I don't even find the new quarters anymore.

Yesterday I searched through $150 in dimes, found the usual Canadians I don't want but did find something peculiar, a bit smaller than a dime but still silver - a Philippines 10 Centavos from 1944 minted in Denver. First foreign silver find in coin roll hunting from this year.

Other finds this week include a 1926 Merc and a really beaten up 1923 Buffalo, a 1943 Steel and a blank cent from roll searches. Some of the cents I searched this week were the worst - like they had been stored in a bucket with motor oil residue or something.

• 2 weeks later...

12 March 2014 institution 1:

$44 CWR 5c

1 1939

1 BU 1940 - not a bad find for 74 years old!

4 40s

$10 CWR 1c

1 1944 wheat

2 Canada YH

12 March 2014 Institution 2

$150 CWR 10c - zilch zip nada

$40 CWR 5 c

3 40s

1 Canada YH, 12 sided

1 Canada YH round

1 Canada 65-81

$30 CWR 1c

9 40s and 50s wheats including a 1943 steel cent

8 68-74 S

3 Canada GVI, 1945, 6 and 1951

4 Canada YH

1 Canada 1967

5 Dimes - always nice

2 Nickels - literally crammed into the cent rolls. Kind of funny the teller would have taken rolls with bulges from the nickels on them.

Then after cashing out at my credit union the teller told me to wait a minute while she went back to the vault and brought out a large plastic storage bag stuffed with 130 Ikes including a 1976-S proof.

Might do one more bank today then take a break from roll searching. Too much other stuff I have to do.

Received a UAE One Dirham coin in change at, IIRC Chick-fil-a in Houston last week.

Probably Capt Awacs spent it - I wonder if some of the UAE, Kuwait etc coins come my way via servicemen returning. I know I have accidentally spent Ukrainian and probably Russian coins in the USA.

EF or so bi-cent quarter. I am seeing these more often.

I see them rarely and so have been keeping all that I come across. I think I have maybe 7 or 8 put away.

You're not seeing much of anything in your part of the country, are you?

No I'm not. My searches of change and rolls have produced little of interest lately. I'm thinking that many of the local banks have changed their processes for change. I know of two that have moved their orders from the Fed to once a month vs.weekly and added their own counting/bagging machines. One of the fellows from a "Jiffy" store told me the other day that he now can only get full bags of coins from his bank vs rolls.

Today I recieved a 1952-D (USA) One Cent ("wheat penny" for our int'l friends) in change at grocery store in central Houston.

not earth shattering but nice nonetheless!

I am finally seeing a few national park quarters; they seemed like ghost coins for the last few years...

1969S Jefferson nickel, which fills another hole in my from-circulation set. 1989D closes out that book. Why that hasn't turned up yet, I don't know. But I do love finding San Francisco coins in change. :)

No I'm not. My searches of change and rolls have produced little of interest lately. I'm thinking that many of the local banks have changed their processes for change. I know of two that have moved their orders from the Fed to once a month vs.weekly and added their own counting/bagging machines. One of the fellows from a "Jiffy" store told me the other day that he now can only get full bags of coins from his bank vs rolls.

Banks are getting stinky about selling rolls and boxes - you have to have a friend on the inside, or a young lady you have bought off with boxes of candy like I do. Credit Unions are my best friends though. They are just pleased as punch to sell me all their inbound coin from deposits because then they don't have to break open the rolls to send to Brinks and with all the associated costs of sending the coin to the big city.

Banks are getting stinky about selling rolls and boxes - you have to have a friend on the inside, or a young lady you have bought off with boxes of candy like I do. Credit Unions are my best friends though. They are just pleased as punch to sell me all their inbound coin from deposits because then they don't have to break open the rolls to send to Brinks and with all the associated costs of sending the coin to the big city.

Unfortunately my Credit Union accounts are far away and so coins are not practical there. Maybe it's time to join a few local CUs.

Credit unions are pretty popular, they are even opening new branches while some regional banks are closing branches. The great thing is you can often open accounts with as little as $5 - which is why I have accounts in about half a dozen credit unions. But even the ones that I am not a member of save stuff for me because I bring them goodies.