CoinPeople.com

new addition to my collection - 1797 1/4 kop

BKB

And fortunately 3 pieces now are found in the first 3 collections. What a unique event. :ninja:

WCO

Just in case there was any confusion, I don't have one. The 3 Polushkas referred to earlier in this post that I, numrare, and KBK were going to put together were all different years, each extremely rare. I don't know of 3 of KBK's new coin, though numrare says he knows of them.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just in case there was any confusion, I don't have one. The 3 Polushkas referred to earlier in this post that I, numrare, and KBK were going to put together were all different years, each extremely rare. I don't know of 3 of KBK's new coin, though numrare says he knows of them.

I thought something like this. Mr. Bitkin was advised to put such a coin into his catalogue by Rarenum (this is my guess, I do not know it for sure) who wanted to have his own coin listed and semi-unique with just 2 or 3 pieces known. It would immediately do his own coin a very rare and valuable piece. There is nothing bad about this though, most likely everyone who owns near unique coin would enjoy seeing it in a catalogue. Mr. Bitkin "believed" it is real and put it into his catalogue (Second Edition) without doing his "homework" and with rarity level of R4. Most likely no such a coin (dated 1797 with obverse of Denga) was ever authenticated by any Russian institution, neither Russian State Historical Museum nor Hermitage or any other authorised organization. Believe it is real? Well it never hurts to authenticate a coin that is twice as rare as Konstantine Ruble.

Regards,

WCO

I don't know of 3 of KBK's new coin, though numrare says he knows of them.

I think those are:

1. One that Bitkin knows about. It would be interesting to get a photo.

2. There is one in the US. It is all corroded but recognizable.

3. My coin.

Mr. Rarenum, am I correct?

I have been told about a possible #4 in Russia, but I did not get a photo. I offered good money for it, but never received an answer. I do not think it was real, maybe a hoax. I wonder what our Russian colleagues know about these.

P.S. As much as I would like to ignore WCO, he brings up a good point. I do not know, however, what his motive is... Why was this coin never catalogued until just a few years ago?

I think those are:

1. One that Bitkin knows about. It would be interesting to get a photo.

2. There is one in the US. It is all corroded but recognizable.

3. My coin.

Mr. Rarenum, am I correct?

Correct :ninja:

The potential for existence of this coin is definitely there, especially considering how much those guys drank before coming to work ;)

Right, starting from 1800 people started to drink less and never came to work being drunk, that's why there is no potential of 1800 and 1801 Polushkas with obverse of Denga to be in existense. :ninja:

WCO

I thought something like this. Mr. Bitkin was advised to put such a coin into his catalogue by Rarenum (this is my guess, I do not know it for sure) who wanted to have his own coin listed and semi-unique with just 2 or 3 pieces known. It would immediately do his own coin a very rare and valuable piece. There is nothing bad about this though, most likely everyone who owns near unique coin would enjoy seeing it in a catalogue. Mr. Bitkin "believed" it is real and put it into his catalogue (Second Edition) without doing his "homework" and with rarity level of R4. Most likely no such a coin (dated 1797 with obverse of Denga) was ever authenticated by any Russian institution, neither Russian State Historical Museum nor Hermitage or any other authorised organization. Believe it is real? Well it never hurts to authenticate a coin that is twice as rare as Konstantine Ruble.

Regards,

WCO

WCO,

1) You should be very careful with your "theory".

2) Stop discuss about article you know nothing; you just show your unprofessional side as numismatist. (You just mix up Rarenum, Bitkin, GIM, and Hermitage...)>nothing is true, just your fantasy.

a. I can show authenticate of the Extremely Rare coin possible rarest then Ruble of Konstantin.

B. Konstantine ruble is greatest period of Russian History.

Rarenum

WCO,

1) You should be very careful with your "theory".

2) Stop discuss about article you know nothing; you just show your unprofessional side as numismatic. (You just mix up Rarenum, Bitkin, GIM, and Hermitage...)>nothing is true, just your fantasy.

a. I can show authenticate of the Extremely Rare coin possible rarest then Ruble of Konstantin.

B. Konstantine ruble is greatest period of Russian History.

Rarenum

Yes, I know so little about this subject. If you know more, please provide the info. Mr. Bitkin learned about your coin or some other coin? Thank you in advance. I guess everyone wants to know how such a coin got into second edition of Bitkin's catalogue.

WCO

It's definately surprising that discoveries can be made 200 years after it was struck. The thing is with, there is no such thing as a complete catalog. Unless the mint keeps a complete detail and inventories of what it struck, most authors I believe can only make a reference to what was available at their times.

But isn't finding something that is so rare that is unreported in catalog that makes this even more thrilling? :ninja:

It's definately surprising that discoveries can be made 200 years after it was struck. The thing is with, there is no such thing as a complete catalog. Unless the mint keeps a complete detail and inventories of what it struck, most authors I believe can only make a reference to what was available at their times.

But isn't finding something that is so rare that is unreported in catalog that makes this even more thrilling? ;)

agreed 100%. But the point I was making is that collectors are very cagey and do not share information. That is why the information is not available to cataloguers. I am also guilty of this to a certain extent. Moreover, look at this discussion. WCO invented a whole ludicrous :ninja: conspiracy theory that could be destroyed by one straight answer from Rarenum. However, Mr. Rarenum avoids answering the question. ;)

agreed 100%. But the point I was making is that collectors are very cagey and do not share information. That is why the information is not available to cataloguers. I am also guilty of this to a certain extent. Moreover, look at this discussion. WCO invented a whole ludicrous :ninja: conspiracy theory that could be destroyed by one straight answer from Rarenum. However, Mr. Rarenum avoids answering the question. ;)

Discoveries such as this one is what keeps us going in numismatics. it gives us hope that something like this, even as rare as winning a lottery, can still happen to someone we know. I am waiting for Rarenum's response to the request. maybe the coin is not as rare as we think and more will come to light in the near future. I know I don't have one. ;)

Discoveries such as this one is what keeps us going in numismatics. it gives us hope that something like this, even as rare as winning a lottery, can still happen to someone we know. I am waiting for Rarenum's response to the request. maybe the coin is not as rare as we think and more will come to light in the near future. I know I don't have one. ;)

We are planning POLUSHKA party :ninja: . YOU CAN BRING GOOD konyak > http://www.louis-xiii.com/ and possible I will tell you more ;)

We are planning POLUSHKA party ;) . YOU CAN BRING GOOD konyak > http://www.louis-xiii.com/ and possible I will tell you more ;)

It appears that the requested information has its price. I guess, some collectors (read rarenum...) are not cagey and secretive, they are simply waiting for the right offer$$$. :ninja: I guess, the two people that requested the information should pull their finances together and buy that bottle. I hope I am invited to the party...

I believe I already have an admission ticket (>200 years old) ;)

That is very true. Let us set the admission as follows:

1. Anyone with a polushka that is at least 200 years old and at least either 50 rubles or R3 -- admission is free

2. Anyone else -- a bottle of good cognac (at least Tesseron Lot N° 29 "Exception" which I personally recommend) :ninja: ) and they have to behave and be polite. ;)

That is very true. Let us set the admission as follows:

1. Anyone with a polushka that is at least 200 years old and at least either 50 rubles or R3 -- admission is free

2. Anyone else -- a bottle of good cognac (at least Tesseron Lot N° 29 "Exception" which I personally recommend) :ninja: ) and they have to behave and be polite. ;)

Note too sure if I'm supposed to take offense that coin collecting is only for the elite ;)

Note too sure if I'm supposed to take offense that coin collecting is only for the elite :ninja:

No offense meant. I just lowered the price of information for those who "requested" it from about $1400 to $500. Not a bad deal. Anyone who wants to stop by not for the purpose of asking stupid questions in offensive form, but to talk "shop" or just BS is welcome. No admission.

Thanks! I spent all my Cognac budget on Russian coins, but theres always a little left at the end of the week for a cold beer!

I have heard there is Sam Adams that costs much more than tesseron...

Thanks! I spent all my Cognac budget on Russian coins, but theres always a little left at the end of the week for a cold beer!

I have spend my budget for coins :ninja: ,I should drink my beer ;)

Guys, there are no need for name calling and such. I'm sure everyone has different opinions and are entitled to such. I'll be honest - I am a bit skeptical as well but I'm not saying it's impossible - just unlikely and therefore if it's genuine, that's what makes it scarce.

Aren't polushka rather uncommon in the first place? I don't remember having a lot of polushka other than the early coinage of Anna.

Archived