CoinPeople.com

new addition to my collection - 1797 1/4 kop

BKB

welcome to the club ;)

Thank you ;)

Now everyone is free to get back to the original topic - sorry for hijacking this thread :ninja:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was also one on Gelos a few years back. Do you have that one?

I'd have to see it to cross check against the Conros and Ekaterina coins. Do you have an image? My Gelos coverage is actually quite poor. I stopped collecting their images in late 2004.

I'd have to see it to cross check against the Conros and Ekaterina coins. Do you have an image? My Gelos coverage is actually quite poor. I stopped collecting their images in late 2004.

I had a link, but they removed all auctions before 2007 from their site.

That's cool :ninja:

I did some research with my 20 kopecks, and found out that atleast 1980, 1981, 1983, 1984 and 1985 have two varieties: some have large Soviet emblem on the obverse while the emblem on some others is much smaller. Coins with small emblem seem to be considerably scarcer (atleast in my coin jar ;)) than the ones with large emblems. There are also some other differences. Could the coins with small emblem have been struck with 3 kopeck dies?

If that's the case, I'll join the Mule-Owners-Club ;)

Welcome ;) ;)

MONETY I MEDALI IN 2005 AUCTION 31 (COPPER PART II) LOT 413 POLUSHKA 1776 EM SOLD FOR 800.00$

Yep...got that one. Thanks :ninja:

OK...enough of these 'scarce' polushkas. What about something rare. Anybody seen a 1785EM Polushka. Or better yet, anybody have one?

There _may_ have been one in M&M 31 but the 5 looks strange (sold for $1000, so somebody took a chance).

Yep...got that one. Thanks :ninja:

OK...enough of these 'scarce' polushkas. What about something rare. Anybody seen a 1785EM Polushka. Or better yet, anybody have one?

There _may_ have been one in M&M 31 but the 5 looks strange (sold for $1000, so somebody took a chance).

;) 1774 em

Not a lot ;)

russian government managed to sell one 1774: Adolph Hess 210 lot#1679 There is a plate. I think I also saw one, but not at liberty to discuss. We should ask the lucky the owner...

I have never seen 1785 em. Now, that is a true rarity. GM lists an 85 (Plate XXIV #21), but the 5 looks exactly like the 5 on 1775/4 and the 8 is not clear. Funny thing is it is listed as only "rare" not "very rare"...

the description says that the coin is from the collection of count Tolstoi, and that the revers was created from 1775. (there is a mistake in Boston, mass. reprint for it says 1757 there) They (GM, Demeni, Tolstoi, etc) had the coin and could examine it, however, it could easily be a myth created by a die break... After all they were not infallible listing all those novodels as originals. :ninja: Steve, do you have an image of the coin from M&M 31?

russian government managed to sell one 1774: Adolph Hess 210 lot#1679 There is a plate. I think I also saw one, but not at liberty to discuss. We should ask the lucky the owner...

I have never seen 1785 em. Now, that is a true rarity. GM lists an 85 (Plate XXIV #21), but the 5 looks exactly like the 5 on 1775/4 and the 8 is not clear. Funny thing is it is listed as only "rare" not "very rare"...

the description says that the coin is from the collection of count Tolstoi, and that the revers was created from 1775. (there is a mistake in Boston, mass. reprint for it says 1757 there) They (GM, Demeni, Tolstoi, etc) had the coin and could examine it, however, it could easily be a myth created by a die break... After all they were not infallible listing all those novodels as originals. :ninja: Steve, do you have an image of the coin from M&M 31?

Yes indeed.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

Yes indeed.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

There is something under 5, but it is not 4. 5 looks different from the 5 on GM coin. Could there be 2 dies? :ninja: Yea, right... Although I do not see any traces of engraving on these photographs, you need to look at it under the microscope to be sure. All in all, I am neither conviced by GM specimen, nor by the M&M coin. Both could be false, one could be false or both could be real. Who knows...

You should add Zubov (1897) #90-91 listed polushka 1774 EM and 1775/4 EM (overdate), which confirming mintage Polushka's "EM" in 1774

Zubov (1897) #93 listed polushka of 1776 EM listed for first time and unknown before.

Rarenum

• 2 weeks later...
Here's what I hope is the 1776 polushka. As Murphy's law dictates - the last digit of the date is the most corroded.

Can you make a better photo, because what I see is 1775/4. I could be wrong...

Archived