CoinPeople.com

Anyone have a local coin dealer nearby?

Uncle Charlie

Your Local Coin Dealer  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have a coin dealer in your local area or town?

• Yes, I do have a local coin shop, where I can purchase coins.
    • No, I don't have a local coin shop.
    • I don't know. I just an old geezer who does move around much these days.

Show off. So that's where you get your beautiful coins. Not the bargain bin.

Actually, no. I find them to be way overpriced. Plus I don't pay sales tax if I buy out of state. Its nice to look in their window though.

I became friends with my local coin dealer and even played bass in his band for a few years. (We are both amateur musicians.)

The landlord raised the rent on his store so much in 2004 that he moved 50 miles away, about a mile from his home in Bellport.

I still make the trip to his new store once a month or so to say hello and see what he has to offer.

I also have a small collection of TAG Heuer watches and he is the only person I let touch them.

Actually, no. I find them to be way overpriced. Plus I don't pay sales tax if I buy out of state. Its nice to look in their window though.

Stack's always has a window full of super nice coins... ;)

I agree that they are a bit overpriced, but then again the rents on 57th Street in NYC are obscenely expensive. Maybe $50000 a month. Maybe more.

Also they are more willing to help a mink coat wearing widow "dispose" of her deceased husbands US gold collection than to answer my dumb questions... :ninja:

Closest coin shop that I know of is out of State in Montana. It's about a two hour drive. Next closest is in state, but over the mountain and about 45-60 minutes longer to get to. Needless to say, we don't shop at brick and mortar shops only because we can't unless we make it a day event and spend $40 for gas there and back again.

Used to be a lot of coin shops in my area. Lately many have gone. In the downtown area of Chicago there used to be many but most have vanished. One of the greatest was on the 5th floor of Carson's store on State street but that store is now some kind of condo or something. Only one left that I know of downtown and one of ther worst dealers imaginable. Some in the suburbs but those also are vanishing. One flea market had almost seven coin dealers but that one closed down. I suspect the reason is the numerous coin shows in the Illinois area. One almost every weekend and occationally a few hugh ones. For example during April this area is flooded with coin shows of almost every possible size.

Archived