CoinPeople.com

What's the point of collecting something like this?

bobh

Not sure what the point here is. I've seen people collect and save old beer cans found in the garbage, old bottles found in construction sites, old lumber dug up from construction sites, etc. And don't forget the Beanie Babies, Hot Wheel Cars, baseball/ football cards. Aside from coins I save and collect old flashlights and don't know why. So just what is wrong with a coin that is YUK?

Anyone know if there is a grade called Y- (-48) for YUK minus 48??? :ninja:

Where

xD

anyway on topic.....hey some people just like em plain and slabbed :ninja:..but noway am i ever gonna pay US $372.89 for something like that!!!...even if its a "rare" coin...ill rather save up and buy a better grade or just another coin... and if i needed it to finish my coin set..id still never buy it ;)....there has to be better options than that!

I have an AG-3 1896-O barber dime. I paid $37 for it. Of the 610,000 coins for that date (one of the keys of a popular series), only 128 are certified. Only 3 are in AG-3 grade at either of the major grading services. Chances are, if there are any F-02 or P-01 coins from this date and mint, there are only one or two of them and they are locked away in someone's registry set. Anyone looking to compete will need one of the three AG-03 coins. I can now sell this coin for a premium over the red book AG-03 quote. But I didn't pay that much so I'll have a nice return!

I forgot what point I was trying to get at...

1246417.jpg

1246419.jpg

Oh, and one thng I think is scary about collecting the low grade coins, they are easier to fake than a high grade coin. Nothing stops me from sending this baby through a accelerated wear regimen to net a lower grade.

Oh, and one thng I think is scary about collecting the low grade coins, they are easier to fake than a high grade coin. Nothing stops me from sending this baby through a accelerated wear regimen to net a lower grade.

Those coins should geta notation on the slab label........AW....Artificial Wear.

go figure...to each his own, I would never pay that much for such a terrible coin (even ancient) but then I dont have any spots to fill. Even if I did, I think I would just leave that spot blank. It being rare is one thing but it is also because of the amount of people who collect american coins like this and try to make sets...I just bought a coin from ceylon a bit ago, mintage only 500,000...3x as big and silver...paid 20 bucks...and IMO its a much nicer coin design!!

ceylon2500obv.jpg

Archived