CoinPeople.com

Favorite/Least Favorite State Quarter Design

hiho

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest none of them really jump out at me or move me. I think I like Kansas best because it's reminiscent of many coins of our history, I think wyoming is bad, but I also think Idaho's eagle is hideous too. It looks like a zombie.

2007IdahoSM.jpg

I have to admit that eagle does have an odd robotic look about him. ;)

Despite the 10 or so uninspired designs we still wound up with 35+ great ones, so the project was a success.

Plenty are in circulation and it's actually interesting to look through your change again. Admire them and then spend them.

Best thing our government has done for the past eight years for coin collectors young and old. :ninja:

My fave is Connecticut - awesome detail!

And I dislike most of the rest of 'em.

But the tree is filled with die cracks!

That's why I collect all of them, I paid a few hundred bucks for a couple of these on ebay, there was only a minute left and people only bid a dollar, but I was smarter, I bid $300.00. No one knows how valuable these are, hind sight is 20/20, they'll all be kicking themselves later :ninja:;)

By the way, this was all a complete joke. I didn't want anyone grilling me for buying these quarters.

That's why I collect all of them, I paid a few hundred bucks for a couple of these on ebay, there was only a minute left and people only bid a dollar, but I was smarter, I bid $300.00. No one knows how valuable these are, hind sight is 20/20, they'll all be kicking themselves later :ninja:;)

By the way, this was all a complete joke. I didn't want anyone grilling me for buying these quarters.

hehe. you used the right amount of exaggeration to get the joke across.

I got news for you. Its not an eagle.

My mistake sir, I appreciate you catching that for me now. I'd hate to continue saying Eagle and look like a dunce, you live and learn. For anyone who doesn't know already the bird on the coin is the Peregrine Falcon. I researched this really quickly to include this nugget of knowledge.

Favorite: Colorado followed closely by Mississippi. Might throw Oklahoma in there when I see one in person.

Least: Um... I agree, Wyoming is pretty bad.

I thought it looked like a hawk or falcon.

"The Peregrine Falcon is often stated to be the fastest animal on the planet in its hunting dive, the stoop, which involves soaring to a great height and then diving steeply at speeds of over 322 km/h (200 mph) hitting one wing of its prey, so as not to harm itself on impact."

I don't know about you, but any bird that can dive at over 200mph and not become a stain on the sidewalk gets my respect. That's Formula One/IndyCar speed!

No one here seems to care for the Wyoming design, so I'm not alone. Lot's of other designs to like though.

The Connecticut quarter has the best design (IMO). Several others I find attractive, such as Colorado, Nebraska, Oregon, and Virginia (not necessarily in that order). The ones that I think are fairly dull are Florida (clip art copy/paste job?), Maryland (old-fashioned) and Texas ... a quarter with a state outline as a prominent feature of its design (also see Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina) sure gets bad grades here. :ninja:

Christian

Design that best represents the state (or what I associate of the state):

STFL_small.jpg

Yeah... I've been to Florida a bunch but I've never really thought much of it. Maybe I'm just missing out on the real deal.

Design that worst represents the state (or what I associate of the state):

STMD_small.jpg

There are so many gorgeous and great things about Maryland. I'd rather see Annapolis harbor or a blue crab.

Most original/creative/artistic design:

STNC_small.jpg

I love the perspective and I love how we're looking over Wilbur's shoulder. I really see some movement, action, and history being captured here.

Least original/creative/artistic design:

STAL_small.jpg

Come on, Alabama. Is she the only thing you guys have? With all due respect to Ms. Keller, can't something else compliment her?

Classic design for a coin (as in, if you see it 70 years from now it will be a classic like a Morgan or a Barber design):

STDE_small.jpg

I think it's because this was the first design out - this was the first final design we saw of the series that made a huge impact on the hobby. It's also a (relatively) uncommon design in circulation. I'll always think of this as the quintessential and classic of the SQ series.

Worst design for a coin (as in, it looks like it should be on a stamp, a velvet rug, a mug, or on a tattoo, etc):

STWY_small.jpg

Like someone said, I expect to see this on a weathered steel cut-out.

Coin that will have the best/coolest wear:

STCT_small.jpg

I can just feel the tree under my finger decades from now. The texture will feel great and the design will look pretty cool too I bet.

Coin that will have the worst wear:

STNJ_small.jpg

Are you going to be able to tell what this design was when it's all worn out? I'd guess mountains and the "crossroads" motto won't tell you it's Washington crossing the Delaware.

Worst looking design:

STCO_small.jpg

Come on, Colorado. You guys have a gorgeous state, but why did you choose such a featureless mountain side? I'm not inspired at all by this design.

Best looking design:

STCA_small.jpg

So cool. I'd love to be there next to John Muir looking into the Valley. I can feel the crisp mountain air and see the green now.

Least favorite design:

STSC_small.jpg

I've seen this design floating through change many times. I'm never inspired and I think South Carolina coulda done better. The design composition is nothing too artistic either.

Favorite design:

588px-West_Virginia_quarter,_reverse_side,_2005.jpg

This was one of my only pocket pieces ever. I think it will wear well (but eventually look like a hole in a wall). I also love the mountains more than any type of geography and mountain rivers more than any. The Appalachians are some of the most gorgeous features on Earth. Many of my friends have told me countless awesome stories of the New (River Gorge), it's kayaking, it's climbing, and the geography. I've always wanted to go but never have. I think of that everytime I see this coin.

Make sure you see post #19 on the previous page. I put a good amount of work in making these choices and I dont want people to miss half of them because there on one page and another!!

Make sure you see post #19 on the previous page. I put a good amount of work in making these choices and I dont want people to miss half of them because there on one page and another!!

Well though out comments and observations deadpoint. :ninja:

Archived