CoinPeople.com

Silver coins remaining?

Dan769

On average, anybody know or have any idea what percentage of silver coins produced are still around? I know there are some quirks, like many Morgan Dollars found in bank vaults which would inflate the number.

I'm guessing about 10% of all silver coins made, on average are still around. Sound fair?

I think that it's an unanswerable question. Between loses, melts, war, natural disasters, collectors, folks burying money, other countries melting coins, I'd say whatever guess you're comfortable with.

Me either, thought maybe someone saw some data on this somewhere.

Giving this more thought, excluding Morgans, I think 10% is too high, maybe 5%.

Man, this makes me wish I had studied applied math or economics.

I just realized that Rusty Goe's book "The Mint on Carson Street" has some guesstimates.

For example his estimate of 1,573,700 1875-CC Half Dollars to still be in existane is 3,500-5,000, or .33% of total minted.

Then again Rusty estimates the 1885-CC Morgan rate is about 73%, 165,000 of 228,000.

I just wondered what an average for all coins would be.

Tabbs and T_3 would remind you that they blessingly live in countries still circulating high denomination silver commemoratives, which can be had at face value at the bank or post office. All my Dutch 5 and 10 €uro and German 10 €uro coins are testament to that fact.

Tabbs and T_3 would remind you that they blessingly live in countries still circulating high denomination silver commemoratives, which can be had at face value at the bank or post office. All my Dutch 5 and 10 €uro and German 10 €uro coins are testament to that fact.

Are they really circulation coins that can be had at face at the Post Office. I thought they all carried a premium.

Are they really circulation coins that can be had at face at the Post Office. I thought they all carried a premium.

If they can be had at face value I'm going to germany, w00t. Field trip everyone.

From my understanding, they can be had at face, but are only legal tender in the country of issue, so you can't spend silver 5-euro Dutch commems in Germany or France and vice versa. Also, it's not like these are a cheap way to buy silver. The Dutch 5-euros I think have the most silver for the money, but even there you are paying about $7.50 for about 1/3 of an ounce, or $22.50 per ounce vs. $16 spot price. In Germany, they are 10-euro coins with about 1/2 ounce of silver which translates to roughly $30 per ounce!

The problem as well is that since the euro has always been a fiat currency, every country has different standards. For example, the 10-euro coins, here are the different standards I've found: 25.5g 0.925 fine (Finland), 28.28g 0.925 (Ireland), 27g 0.925 fine (Spain), 18g 0.925 fine (Germany), 16g 0.925 fine (Austria), 18.75g 0.925 fine (Belgium), 17.8g 0.925 fine (the Netherlands) and 22g 0.925 fine (San Marino).

Yes, you can get them at post offices (NL) or certain banks (DE) at face value. Most Austrian and some Spanish silver pieces can also be had at face. However, contrary to the "real" coins, these collector pieces are legal tender in the issuing member state only, thus "regional money". And none of these actually circulate.

As far as I know, the British £5 and the Swiss 20 fr coins - silver pieces as well - can also be had at face. Don't expect them to actually circulate either.

Christian

For example, the 10-euro coins, here are the different standards I've found

And some more: AT 17.297g (16 is the fine weight), GR 34.0g or 9.75g, IE 28.28g, IT 22.0g, MC 25.0g, PT 27.0g, VA 22.0g. But these can (apart from the Austrian ones) not be had at face. They are made for collectors and, just like the US silver commemorative pieces, carry a surcharge.

Christian

Name just one currency that is still in use that is NOT fiat currency now. :ninja:

They are all fiat currencies now, but specifically, the euro started as one. The dollar was defined as 26.73g 0.900 fine silver, other countries had their definistions too, whether in silver or gold, but the euro has never had one. Therefore, on occasion you may still find circulating silver (mainly in the US and Canada), but also the commemorative coins are usually done to the former specifications (i.e. silver dollars are 26.73g 0.900 fine silver and gold coins are based on a pegged price of $20.67 per ounce).

They are all fiat currencies now, but specifically, the euro started as one.

As it started as a currency in 1999, with the coins becoming legal tender three years later, that is not exactly a surprise. :ninja: Then again, none of the currencies that the euro replaced had silver or gold coins as circulation pieces at that time, and it would have been strange to re-introduce, in the late 90s, a concept that has not been in use for several decades.

Christian

As it started as a currency in 1999, with the coins becoming legal tender three years later, that is not exactly a surprise. :ninja: Then again, none of the currencies that the euro replaced had silver or gold coins as circulation pieces at that time, and it would have been strange to re-introduce, in the late 90s, a concept that has not been in use for several decades.

Christian

It's not strange for us Americans! In 1984 the first commemorative gold coins were issued for the Olympics based on the exact same standard that was last in use in 1933!

There are not many Americans around anymore that remember spending gold coins.

I'm glad that I don't have to deal with the memory of spending gold coins, I'd be beating myself to a bloody pulp right now.

[beating head against counter] GOLD $875.00 AN OUNCE !?!?! OHHHH, I CAN'T BELIEVE I MADE HOUSE PAYMENTS WITH THEM.[begins crying]

I'm glad that I don't have to deal with the memory of spending gold coins, I'd be beating myself to a bloody pulp right now.

[beating head against counter] GOLD $875.00 AN OUNCE !?!?! OHHHH, I CAN'T BELIEVE I MADE HOUSE PAYMENTS WITH THEM.[begins crying]

:ninja: They actually accepted them as payment?

Archived