CoinPeople.com

Similarities in US & Philippine Paper Money

chiefpawpaw

Here are some examples of some of the many similarities in US and Philippine bank notes:

10bpisF.jpg

Same vignette used. The vignette is titled "Flowers of the South" and was engraved by L.S. Schofield and D.S. Ronaldson. The top note is a Series 521 5 Dollar Military Payment Certificate, the bottom note is a 1920 10 Peso BPI (Bank of the Philippine Islands).

10sR.jpg

Same basic design for both 10s (notice the rays). The top note is a 1922 $10 Gold Certificate, the bottom note is the reverse of a 1920 10 Peso BPI.

10sF.jpg

Again, same basic design. The top note is a 1922 $10 Gold Certificate, the bottom note is a 1937 10 Peso PNB (Philippine National Bank) Circulating Note.

p200Fss.jpg

Same vignette used, with the exception of the shield. Lady Justice seated with scales and shield. The top note is a Fifty Cent Fractional Note (Third Issue, Type I), the bottom note is a 1928 200 Peso BPI (this is a scan from "A Guidebook of Philippine Paper Money" by Neil Shafer.)

1s.jpg

Numerous design likenesses in these. The top note is a 1918 1 Peso Treasury Certificate, the bottom is a 1923 1 Dollar Silver Certificate.

p53Fss.jpg

The top-right corner of the first note looks similar the second note, while the portraits of McKinley in the bottom two notes, are almost identical (the portrait on the $500 appears to have McKinley looking a few years older). The top note is a 1923 $5 Silver Certificate (commonly referred to as the "Porthole" note), the second note is a 1921 5 Peso PNB, and the third is a 1934 $500 FRN.

20sF.jpg

Numerous similarities including: the lemon yellow tint in the background, fancy numerals to the left of center, and same basic use of the "scroll" at the bottom (Twenty Dollars - top , Twenty Silver Pesos - bottom). The top note is a 1905 $20 Gold Certificate (commonly referred to as the "Technicolor" note due to the vivid colors) and the bottom is a 1908 20 Peso Silver Certificate (which I think should be called the "Philippine Technicolor").

20sr.jpg

Similar central & bottom design, and same color ink. The top note is the reverse of the 1905 $20 Gold Certificate, and the bottom is the reverse of the 1908 20 Peso Silver Certificate.

I know there are some of you who knew of these similarities, I just wanted to illustrate them. I hope that you enjoyed this! I had fun arranging it. If anyone knows of any other particular likenesses in US and Philippine paper money, please feel free to post! Thanks for reading!

Brett

~chiefpawpaw~

Thank you all very much for your kindness! I just wanted to illustrate the likenesses in the two countries paper notes, thanks in part to the interest the 1908 20 Peso Silver Certificate received in the "Latest Purchase" thread for looking a lot like the 1905 "Technicolor".

I am humbled by the collective kindness shown here. Thank you.

Brett

~chiefpawpaw~

P.S. Brett, nice name!

Neat! Have you done an exhibit of these before?

I recall there was an exhibit at the 2002 CNA convention on how the Phillipines and US moved towards the current small size notes, and making comparisons between them.

Neat! Have you done an exhibit of these before?

I recall there was an exhibit at the 2002 CNA convention on how the Phillipines and US moved towards the current small size notes, and making comparisons between them.

This is my first attempt at illustrating the similarities. I am sure that it has been done bigger, better, and with more detail somewhere before, however, I have never seen any such exhibit. I would have liked to have seen it.

Weren't most world-wide banknotes during the late 1800's and up until the mid 1900's printed by the same 2-3 companies? If I remember correctly it was the American Banknote Company, Thomas De La Rue and Company, and E.A.Wright Bank Note Company, plus several others. You demonstrate some great examples for your idea Chief, very well done.

Weren't most world-wide banknotes during the late 1800's and up until the mid 1900's printed by the same 2-3 companies? If I remember correctly it was the American Banknote Company, Thomas De La Rue and Company, and E.A.Wright Bank Note Company, plus several others. You demonstrate some great examples for your idea Chief, very well done.

In Great Britain there were numerous companies, Bradbury Wilkinson printed a lot of Scottish, Spanish, and Portuguese notes etc. Kirkwood and Sons was a great printer in the early part of the century. There was also British American Banknote in Canada, National Banknote in the USA, Rawdon Wright & Hatch in the USA and on and on. Giesecke & Devrient printed lovely notes for Bavaria and several other German Lander during that time, and still does some African notes today.

• 2 weeks later...

The Philippinese was under US Administration from the end of the Spanish American war of 1898, sice that time coinage and currency were made in the US. So it would probably go without saying that the notes were similar to those issued in the US at that time also. These are loverly notes and I enjoyed seing them. My wife is from the Philippinese so I have a special interest in there coins and notes.

Archived