CoinPeople.com

Cleaning Coins

Nightwing

I've heard that many collectors prefer that coins not be cleaned. What is the reason for that? Is it due to many collectors preferring the toned look? Is it due to a fear of more harm coming to the coins by cleaning them, like scratches?

I cleaned a few of my own coins today that I've gotten from circulation and I quite enjoyed seeing them shine.

So what is your preference???

The first answer I want to give is about originality. I want to see what the coins are supposed to look like. I LOVE seeing silvers and coppers from the early 1800's with original tonings and luster. You can tell that they look just as they should look fresh from the mint. That's the ultimate in condition right there.

Now, I like seeing toning too. I like knowing what I see is a natural reaction of the environment with the coins surface after it had been sitting in grandmother's cabinet for 100 odd years. Toning can help signify original surfaces.

Similarly, I'd like a coin in high grade because that's the way it was meant to look. I collect coins as objects of history and art. I'd love to have a complete collection of every die variety in a series because it shows me the history of the series and the deisgn. If I'm unable to find a coin with a grade that meets my standards in original condition, then I don't mind a cleaned/scratched/marked up example that is in decent condition save for those surface alterations.

Does any of this make sense? I wasn't quite listening to myself.

In general, cleaning coins tends to lower its value unless it has verdigris or something similar. I have never cleaned any of my hammered coins, I have with my milled because, to me they are not worth much and neither are they commercially, so I clean the grubby 20th Century coppers so I prefer them.

Cleaning rare and valuable hammered coins that are approximately 1000 years old and in very high grade would be the worst thing to do to your collection, it is better left to the professionals and even they make mistakes!

With modern milled I like proofs and un-circulated coins, cleaning them would ruin their originality, as thedeadpoint says. I want coins in their original condition, not in a condition that has been artificially created. Cleaned coins are always welcome in my collection as a space filler but not as the real thing.

- Clive.

Well, it really depends on the method of cleaning. Every now and again I'll try to wash an obnoxious fingerprint or dirt when I find something on the ground with water and a washcloth. Chemicals scare me because I don't know anything about them and I don't want any pieces to look... artificial.

The only cleaned coins I have are a roll of pennies that my Great Grandmother scrubbed up in the sink to give me for my birthday when I was about 4. She was born in 1884, so it must have been a common practice then. They have sentimental value, but certainly no numismatic value now.

Cleaning coins takes away part of their history, coins have a story to tell and most of this story is portrayed with its condition. For example a pierced coin would have been sentimental/special to someone where as one that was bent would have been a love token.

I like coins as close as possible to their original, although this is hard with hammered coins it is still possible, and I like a challenge! :ninja:

Two things: authenticity --it's good for a coin to look old; age is a plus; we don't want to buy something that's been tampered with, and cleaning usually damages coins-- and plain esthetic preference: silver and copper age beautifully, not to mention gold. (I don't collect clad or other modern alloy coins and am ignorant of how they might tone.) :ninja:

I agree with Frank, about 80% of my coins are pretty much solid silver and they look great when aged, and are also aesthetically pleasing when uncirculated. Cleaning them takes away their age and tends to make the features less sharp.

The Victorian Jubilee Issue Crowns are a good example, the wear is very visible on the horse if it has been well circulated and even worse when cleaned as it is nice and shiny but the sharpness has been lost.

A Morgen I would leave it alone. Maybe lightly wipe it with a soft cotton cloth. Make sure you are wearing cotton gloves when handling it too. Then put it in a Mylar flap or an airtight or some other coin holder that has no PVC's.

So your saying that a coin covered in a layer of hazy PVC should be left alone???

I disagree

There are situations where "cleaning" a coin can conserve it from damage.

Yes LostDutchman brings up a good point, differentiating betwixt cleaning and conserving. If something is professionally executed to conserve a coin from further deterioration, by all means it is acceptable, but should be noted as such.

Something like state quarters you get out of your pocket and want to just place in one of the folders. I don't see a problem with. Something with a higher value then face I would be real careful with trying to clean. You can get "uncleaned" roman coins which you have to do some cleaning on. (Just follow recommendations though.) Silver coins will show marks even with light cleaning by rubbing with a cloth.

Rinsing coins in in purified water then acetone works on cleaning some coins with out damaging them. One thing to consider if you in anyways scratch the surface (Even soft cloth rubbed on it can leave marks.) it may not make it through a grading company. NGC and PCGS are pretty tough on any kind of cleaning. ANACs will grade them but if it shows will mark it as cleaned.

I think it's important to distinguish between two words which often get lumped together: cleaning and preserving.

I detest cleaning, because I like to see the age of the coin. That's just my opinion. More often than not, when someone cleans a coin, it loses the original color of the metal, it gains hairline scratches, or, worst of all, some detail is lost in the process. Generally, I have defined the word cleaned to mean a coin that has lost it's numismatic value in an effort to make the coin look as though it has just been minted.

Preservation of coins, however, is a term I have come to appreciate. Removing verdigris, oils, and pvc from a coin doesn't signify cleaning to me. Leaving most of those items on a coin will most likely harm the coins with time. Have I ever tried to preserve a coin? No.

That is the case where I think preservation and cleaning get lumped together. Bad preservation is the same as cleaning and good cleaning is the same as preservation. I don't try to preserve coins, because I don't understand it enough to try it. In that sense I won't clean them either.

Happy New Year!

Go Blue,

Scott

I don't clean mine as I have a weakness for the historical aspect of well used coins. However, If a coin is one that you don't have any intention of having graded, or selling, I guess it's up to you. I will buy a cleaned coin if it's something I really want and the price is right.

The answer is simple. Usually mentioned on that TV show The Antique Road Show. Mentioned many times how cleaning anything distroys it's value. There are actually many reasons for this. Some are the original paint, varnish, etc on a piece of furnature if cleaned may flake, crack, peal or just wash off. With a sword, knife, saber, spear, etc the same thing is true as with coins. Cleaning may remove more than just dirt, grime, etc. Depending on the type of material a coin, knife, gun, etc is composed of, much of the STUFF found on them is due to a chemical reaction. Example is the Browning of a piece of Copper coin or anything. Brass, Bronze types of coins or anything is composed of materials and Copper. As Copper Oxidizes it turns Brown. If further exposure to the air Copper Oxide combines to form Copper Carbonate, from moisture and Carbon Dioxide. This is the greenish discoloration usually misturmed as Verdigris by those that have heard the term and don't know what it means. Cleaning this off will make the object appear new again but a substantial amount of original Copper or Copper Compound is removed with the substance on that object. If done repeatedly the original object is primarily lost forever as an complete object. You could see this if you have a Brass object and buff it to shine. The buffing wheel will now be darkened from the loss of material from the Brass object.

A nice shinning coin may look pretty but so much detail may have been lost due to cleaning. The loss of detail, loss of original patina, all contribute to loss of value.

So far I've only cleaned a few coins I've wanted to see shine: a 1958-D Wheat penny, a 2005 Westward Journey Buffalo nickel and one of my 2000-P Sacagawea's (I wanted to see one shine again like the president coins) which are all from circulation. Interesting about removing the material, that was a concern of mine for my penny and Sac, but not too concerned for the nickel.

I've placed these coins back in the same tube with other non cleaned coins. I may invest in some more tubes for these cleaned coins just to keep them separate from the rest.

Archived