CoinPeople.com

"In God We Trust" removed from the edges on Dollar coins.

Dockwalliper

The same omnibus spending bill that is giving us quarters for D.C. and the territories is returning IGWT to the obv.or Rev. on all dollar coins. I guess the date, mint mark and E PLURIBUS UNUM will stay on the edge and be on the edge of the redesigned Sackies. When? check the last line.

SEC. 623. (a) In General- Section 5112(n)(2) of title 31, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subparagraph ©(i)--

(A) by striking `inscriptions' and inserting `inscription'; and

(B.) by striking `and `In God We Trust'; and

(2) by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:

`(F) INSCRIPTION OF `IN GOD WE TRUST'- The design on the obverse or the reverse shall bear the inscription `In God We Trust'.'.

(B.) Conforming Amendment- Section 5112®(2) of title 31, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subparagraph ©(i)--

(A) by striking `inscriptions' and inserting `inscription'; and

(B.) by striking `and `In God We Trust'; and

(2) by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:

`(E) INSCRIPTION OF `IN GOD WE TRUST'- The design on the obverse or the reverse shall bear the inscription `In God We Trust'.'.

(c.) Effective Date- The change required by the amendments made by subsections (a) and (B.) shall be put into effect by the Secretary of the Treasury as soon as is practicable after the date of enactment of this Act.

Wow, I'm sure glad that they finally got that done.

God must have been losing so much sleep because of the whole name-on-the-edge-lessens-the-impact-of-the-being-on-the-coin deal.

My understanding is that the bill has been sent to the President for his signature and that he will sign it because it includes funding for the war in Iraq.

Even without the funding you mentioned I doubt Bush is a numismatic and would have a strong feeling for keeping the writing on the edges.

So what does this mean for the first 4 coins in the series, will they go up in value? Will collectors suddenly be interested in them more because they will be different than the rest? If signed when would this even go into effect? Hopefully not until 2009 because by then we would have 8 coins with "In God We Trust" on the side.

I personally think it's dumb how everyone has gotten into an uproar over this. It's mainly due the fact that people didn't understand that the writing was on the side and that the "Godless" dollars were a mistake. If it were up to me I'd move the date and maybe the mint mark to the obverse and leave everything else the way it is currently. The writing on the side helps distinguish the coins more.

Hmm, maybe they can change something about the series every year to make them worth more to collectors. :ninja:

It only calls for IGWT to be moved so my guess is the E PLURIBUS the date and MM will remain on the edge so I doubt there will be any premium. Unless........shall be put into effect by the Secretary of the Treasury as soon as is practicable after the date of enactment of this Act. Unless...... the change is made during the middle of one of the coins runs. That would be interesting, but not likely.

The whole purpose of this was created by the religious nut cases that treat the government as their personal puppet to foist their agendas off on the rest of us.

TR was a religious man, and he believed God did not belong on money. He was right.

TR was a nutcase himself. What makes you think he was religious, though? If I had to guess by his actions, I'd have to conclude he was a satanist if he had any religion at all.

Agreed. It just makes things way too complicated, as does the "one nation, under God" clause.

When we came back to America a few years ago my daughter had a problem learning that "one nation under God" part of the pledge of allegiance, she said it as "one nation, under gump". Now she still understands the old country language, but cannot speak it at all. Thankfully I still do.

For some reason I cant bring myself to care about 'in god we trust' on our coins. How it got there is well documented so we know it came from pretty much a letter writing campaign by the religious and the efforts of elected officials looking to please these people. Without doubt I think our former national motto is far better 'E Pluribus Unum' and far more all encompassing in its very nature...

Its a lot like this garbage I have to hear everytime Christmas rolls around, the religious angry that people are trying to 'kill' Christmas...or the rabid anti-religious who get all flustered and angry about those people who want everything to be Christmassy.

It also reminds me of Presidents on coins and how people seem so indignant about it saying that so and so never wanted them to be on coins...things change...people change...The founding fathers were men like any other. None of them even close to perfect not their opinions universally true like any other person.

When you see a president on a coin people get flustered, then they quote another president regarding how they felt money should be treated when it comes to what propaganda is on it as if they are flawless...like people who think some large land owners in the late 1700's some how managed to obtain perfection that should never be changed or questioned (like the constitution or electoral process).

In the end...the fact that in god we trust in on our money matters very little, and effects me not at all...

oh...merry christmas and happy new years...or whatever it is you believe...good luck with it. carry on. nothing to see here.

This country was founded on Christian principles so I for one do believe In God we trust needs to be on there. Thats what makes the United States different than other countries. I am not down grading any of the other countries we are no better than they are. Thats my 2 cents I'm done.

I would think we were founded on the French principles... freedom, liberty, egalitarian, more apt 'Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite' but in the end, like I said, it doesn't effect me and I dont get mad if someone wishes me either a merry Christmas or a happy holidays or when I see a religious bumper sticker, or see god on my money. Like anything a good thing can be ruined by partisanship, divisive tactics, bickering, intolerance, and just people who plan have to constantly take issue on things, us vs them all the time. nuff said from me. Christians are the majority in this nation but one must also admit that it has come a long way when it comes to Christians tolerating any other view point. I am not Christian and only a few times in my life have I encountered any real negative effects because of it (got fired once, mostly just chastised). Much of my family are Christians but they keep their beliefs to themselves and so do I, its never an issue, a good way of doing things. I dont need 'there is no god' on my coin so you can ALL RELAX.

I like Christmas even though I am not Christian and I play along with the Santa stuff. In fact, thanks to the Christians I have time off from work, I will gather with my family, exchange gifts (for the kids mostly), have a good meal, catch up on family stuff, and remember times past is a family tradition that has little to do with shopping or Jesus...its not that bad regardless of if its Christmas or national holiday #1.

Somehow my personal experience with many different denominations, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, and Orthodox have convinced me that no said religion is the right one, they are all off on their own agendas, much like the fanatics that need to have IGWT on coins.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone its that In God we trust has been on our money for a long time. We have the freedom to worship or not in this country. If you don't believe that is your choice. As far as Godless dollors I feel like flbandit I would give them a paper dollor for everyone of them. But that was an oversite that the edge lettering didn't get on there.

I don't know how many times I've seen the "Don't use the Godless Dollars" e-mail. I told everyone that if they truly had some without the inscription on the edge, I'd gladly give them a paper dollar for each one!

I had one of those come through from a family member. I typed up a little reply telling them how the writing was on the edge of the coin and explaining that the "Godless dollar" coins were really a mistake. I think this family member at least passed my reply back to the person she had gotten the e-mail from. So I probably ended up educating at least a few people. :ninja:

"I doubt Bush is a numismatic"

I doubt it too. I also doubt he can spell it, pronounce it, or knows what it is.

:ninja:

Looks like I was tired that night, I remember the spell checker correcting me on that an me not caring which word I chose as long as it looked good. I think I was going for, "I doubt Bush is a numismatist" or "I doubt Bush is a numismatic president."

Archived