CoinPeople.com

If you could design a coin for circulation and for use by everyone what would it be and what would it look like???

Nightwing

I thought it would be fun to learn what everyone thinks a coin should be like since everyone has their own preferences and wishes.

So I am asking you all if you could design a coin for circulation what would you make it look like? About how big would it be? Who or what would be on it? Would you create a completely new and unique design or would you make your coin a replica of an old coin? Would you do something different like put a classic TV character on it? Would you add color to your coin?

Just for fun, we won't hold anyone to their answer. :ninja:

For me if we are going to stick with the presidents on our US coins I think it's time we at least get more coins that have a 3/4 portrait. I'd also be open to seeing additional animals on our coins, besides the eagle I mean. I kind of like how Canada has put something as simple as the loon on their $1 coin.

Surely though people who have been collecting for years can do better than my answer. ;) Let's hear it, uh, I mean read it!

Tell you what, let's go for this:

Obverse: Dump in the flag of the US and put 50 stars on it and the denomination.

Reverse: In plain text: "In God we trust"

That way there is no need for the contriversal image of how "this person" or "that object" should have looked like, solves patriotism, no disputes over modern themes and as well as solving the issue of "Godless" dollar coins. Extremely lame but yes, coins are difficult to imagine as 3D objects as I see. ;) Extremely budget "token" :ninja:

I have always enjoyed art and would love to see Miss Liberty return to our coins with a beautiful design Eagle on the rev.

Back in the early 80s I did a few drawings of what I would Love to see on our coins. I did some searching and found a few of my drawings. This one was one of my Favs, If I can find my Seated Liberty design I will post on here.

libertycoin.jpg

libertycoinrev.jpg

Each coin would have the denomiation numerically on the front and printed on the back. No fancy edges, no edge lettering, no presidents, no birds, dogs planes, busses, boats, trains, etc. Just a number and some writting. Example a Cent would have a 1 on the front and ONE CENT on the reverse. The materials used would have to be of a value equal to the coins stated value. Example a Quarter would contain a substance that if melted would be worth a Quarter.

This way it wouldn't matter if forged or not. If you make a Quarter that is worth a Quarter, so what? It is worth a Quarter. No fancy people, birtd, letters that get worn, no dates, no Mint marks. Just a denomination.

Geez carl, what pleasure do you derive from collecting coins in the first place?

As for me:

Liberty, Liberty, and Eagles. But I could do a flag or flower, too. All pieces would be made up of some sort of precious metal along with something else that would keep the metal from tarnishing too quickly. As for size, I like really really big pieces and really really little pieces (which of course would get lost much too easily). Keep E Pluribus Unum and One Dollar and United States of America but I wouldn't care if In God We Trust stays or goes.

Geez carl, what pleasure do you derive from collecting coins in the first place?

As for me:

Liberty, Liberty, and Eagles. But I could do a flag or flower, too. All pieces would be made up of some sort of precious metal along with something else that would keep the metal from tarnishing too quickly. As for size, I like really really big pieces and really really little pieces (which of course would get lost much too easily). Keep E Pluribus Unum and One Dollar and United States of America but I wouldn't care if In God We Trust stays or goes.

Only a woman would want all of that.

Back in the early 80s I did a few drawings of what I would Love to see on our coins. I did some searching and found a few of my drawings. This one was one of my Favs, If I can find my Seated Liberty design I will post on here.

libertycoin.jpg

i never thought i'd live to see bea arthur on a coin ...

no words. no "in god we trust," no "e pluribus unum," no "united states of america." denominations to be specified with numbers and symbols. no edge lettering. i want stark, clean designs.

also, no people ... no portraits, no silhouettes, no dead presidents, none of that stuff.

nothing smaller than a nickle (so, no dime-sized coins ...)

If you make a coin that contains metal worth the stated value, reeded or other edges can help prevent shaving.

The coin must have the issuing country so that you know it's "25 cents US" not "25 cents Canada"

Portraits, "Liberty" or other inscriptions let the world know who the issuer is and what they stand for. Ancient rulers had their portrait on coins to show the people their power, their rule, their law and even their great acts(battles). Also, that they could be trusted that the 25 cents of silver was actually 25 cents of silver not 23 cents.

Portraits and inscriptions also make the coin more attractive so that nerds and geeks want to collect them. Also the general populace likes the look.

Fatcat

If they were plain who in the world would collect them for anything other than the precious metal. I like silver coins but it is for the way they look and not for the precious metal. Lets really make them pretty and I think they will be worth more.

Size matters. :ninja: A coin should not be too small (that rules dime sized pieces out) but not too big either, so no Eisenhower dollar. This intrinsic value stuff is a thing of the past as far as "a coin for circulation" is concerned, but metals that appear cheap should be avoided. So, no aluminum pieces.

Guess this discussion is about coins "for" the US, so yes, there should be a country name. Of course an abbreviated version would leave more space for the design, but I don't know whether "USA" would be generally accepted. For higher denominations, symbols like Liberty or an eagle would be nice.

Make them less verbose - three mottos on (almost) every coin is way too much. And digits that indicate the face value cannot hurt either. In those two regards, and also in terms of size, the new $1 coins look pretty good to me. If it weren't for the presidents on the other side ...

Christian

The materials used would have to be of a value equal to the coins stated value. Example a Quarter would contain a substance that if melted would be worth a Quarter.

The size of Carls coins would change almost daily. What do you do? recall last months quarters that are now worth 26 cents because the price of the metal has risen?

The only solution would be coins without a denomination. Just the weight and composition. Cashiers would need to check a chart....

"Lets see, whats a half oz. nickel coin worth today?" :ninja:

In the place of "In God We Trust" my coins would say, "Render Unto Caesar".

I think it's a more appropriate phrase to put on money.

The edge lettering would say, "All men are created equal."

and, oh yes, NO MORE DEAD PRESIDENTS!

Archived