CoinPeople.com

Collecting Ikes

Art

Here's an interesting article from CoinWorld about collecting Ikes. I have to agree that they're a very unappreciated series.

Collecting Ikes - CoinWorld

The article caused me to go and take a hard look at my Ikes. I can't believe that I'm still missing so many "common" date/mm coins.

In Scott Travers new book "Top 88 coins to buy and sell", he listed complete Ike collections as a 1 of 44 loser investments (his words and not mine).

He may be right from a $$ perspective but this does allow the series to be affordable and achievable to complete to newbies.

One area of Ikes that I think is under appreciated are high graded MS Ikes. This series had a tough time with good solid strikes (especially the P & D mints) where anything above MS65 are tough to come by.

In reality there are many that specialize in those things. Myself, I have a few Albums of them but in rather sad shape from back when they were circulated as just a coin. I met a dealer at many coin shows that specializes in those Ike Dollars. He always has lots of them that don't even make his web site. His prices are rather out of my price range. If you want to see some of his coins, check out www.jmscoins He is a really nice guy in person but he apparently deals only with really high end coins. Someone to talk to at coin shows though. Sure knows his Ikes.

eheh i have a big "0" xD lol since only 1 dealer (that i know off...an i know bout 80% of em xD) has 2 an he sells em for alot since they are "big" x< grrr!!! well thats what he tells me "they are big so they cost more" >_> lol xD tough luck i guess :ninja: but they still look nice ..the 1976 bicentennial looks awesome then the normal ones are also nice lookin with the eagle

Archived