CoinPeople.com

Need an opinion on this coin

Cheburgen

What do you think guys? Fake?

I am doubtful, but hesitate to condemn the coin outright because I am not certain that it is bad.

I am curious about the depressions on the cheek and in the field in front of the face. These do not appear to be normal mint-made flaws and I wonder how they got there. :ninja:

If you have the actual coin and not just the images, do these appear to have been struck in, or do they appear to be gouges dug into the coin surface after leaving the mint?

I believe the coin (Rouble 1728) is a fake. Difficult to explain why - inner feeling :ninja: color, surfaces, appearance, style - especially of the emperor - are quite wrong. However, it's difficult to judge from the pictures, 100% sure you can be only if inspecting the coin in person.

To banivechi: There are numerous die varieties, that's why chances that the pictures exactly match Uzdenikov are quite low ;)

Both coins are fakes ! ....100% :ninja:

The second coin appears to be struck in copper and given a thin silver wash that has worn away on portions of the devices and legends, revealing the copper core beneath the surface.

As a comparison, i will share my 1728 ruble. It is not the exact type as the topic coin, but it is genuine.

note the laminations on the obverse. If anyone has a Bitkin handy, id like to know the number. The star order is different than the more common variety.

923762.jpg

Beautiful rouble, squirrel! :ninja:

As a comparison, i will share my 1728 ruble. It is not the exact type as the topic coin, but it is genuine.

note the laminations on the obverse. If anyone has a Bitkin handy, id like to know the number. The star order is different than the more common variety.

923762.jpg

I'm out of my league here, but since I do have Bitkin, I thought I would give it a try.

Looks very much like Bitkin 73 to me ... four "scallops" (are these the round scale-looking things on the armor at the shoulder??), and dot ends legend. Bitkin 88 looks similar, but I couldn't make out a star at the end of the legend, only a dot. Which star did you mean?

Hi bobh, thanks..

the star just to the right of the scallops, tucked into the sash. It has 3 triangular rays showing. most of the other Peter II portraits show a star with numerous "line" rays.

Oh, I see it now. Going back to Bitkin, I now realize that your coin cannot be 73 nor 88 -- the letter "Ц" in the word "ЦЕНА" on the reverse is plain, but both 73 and 88 have a fancy "Ц".

Now that I know where the star is, it seems like Bitkin 59 would be the closest match. However, the image of the obverse in the catalog seems to show the legend beginning with a dot, and your dot is at the end of the legend... :ninja:

I think I'll step back now and let someone else take over who knows what they are doing! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Too good condition for this type of old coin!!!

Benas, welcome to coinpeople!

I am not sure about the coin, but I would hesitate to condemn an old coin just because it is in good condition. There are many coins that are very old, yet have survived in high grade, because their previous owners have carefully preserved them.

Archived