CoinPeople.com

Am I missing anything hare ?

Oldman

even within one country's eBay, the prices are so varied for coins. when you move to the foreign auction sites then i bet there is some money to make but still, i find it hard to buy something i can't hold in my hands first expecially when i have see a coin i have (which i got free in a multiple purchase) quoted as $1.50 and $100 on eBay.com. that does not fill me with confidence.

I know that mint sets are rising in price, but $99.99 for a 1976 set ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-RUSSIA-USSR-PROOF...1QQcmdZViewItem

RWJ

I can't say that I have any real familiarity with Soviet mint sets, but this does seem a bit steep for a modern mint set (at least to me).

If market prices have really been driven to such a level, is it because of collector demand or is it because of speculative buying?

As far as I can determine, most collectors of Russian coins have traditionally been primarily interested in the Imperial coinage rather than the Soviet issues (although this might be changing since 1991).

I am interested to know from those board members in Russia (or those elsewhere with familiarity with the coin market in Russia) what their perceptions are of this escalation in prices for such modern issues. Is this genuine collector demand, or is it speculative buying by new, naive people who don't really know what they are doing?

Thanks for any reply.

If you say a 1976 set is mad priced, wait till you see the price of a 1970 set - 600USD :ninja:

That is even more difficult for me to understand. I guess collecting Soviet minors by date is more popular than I thought. ;)

Archived