CoinPeople.com

Hanging around....

Timofei

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice coin! But...why would you break the slab anyway ? I can only see 2 reasons for that :

1) you were not really sure that the coin was genuine and wanted to check some details (most likely, the rim)

2) the grade was below your expectations and you broke the holder to just forget about NGC "mistake"

Best wishes from

Nice coin! But...why would you break the slab anyway ? I can only see 2 reasons for that :

1) you were not really sure that the coin was genuine and wanted to check some details (most likely, the rim)

2) the grade was below your expectations and you broke the holder to just forget about NGC "mistake"

Best wishes from

I vote for #2 :ninja:

From forum Staraya Moneta:

... Если, скажем, монетка имеет AU50-55, а выглядит отлично, то разбив слаб можно сказать , что UNC. Я лично не осуждаю. Одобрям-с!

Let me guess it was AU-58? ;) Now he will be selling it as BU! Russian way to "kill a slab" and fool a buyer. ;)

WCO

Let me guess it was AU-58? :ninja: Now he will be selling it as BU! Russian way to "kill a slab" and fool a buyer. ;)

WCO

Mr Timofei,

As you see, you've really opened a can of worms with this posting. I respect your courage but still would like to have your explanations on the holder-breaking reasons , if possible, please.

Yours,

Mr Timofei,

As you see, you've really opened a can of worms with this posting. I respect your courage but still would like to have your explanations on the holder-breaking reasons , if possible, please.

Yours,

;) Timofey say to everybody that this coin not MS slabbed :ninja:

Mr Timofei,

Yours,

No reasons, actually, just don't like to keep'em slabbed :ninja: I buy the coins which do not give any slightest possibility of being a fake, slabbed or not. I am not selling it, but plastic hinders a beatufully preserved coin with old attractive toning and mint lustre, so what is its reason anyway? Usually I break all slabs ;)

I am not going to start again long and pointless discussion about pros and cons of plastic. I remember the saying by an ANA official - "Collect coins not slabs". And I wonder if with all that TPG mantra, in 10 years slabbed coins will be kept in a third-party depository without moving them but 'collectors' will be buying paper titles or deposit receipts on a coin without even looking at the coin itself ;) ;) ;)

No reasons, actually, just don't like to keep'em slabbed :ninja: I buy the coins which do not give any slightest possibility of being a fake, slabbed or not. I am not selling it, but plastic hinders a beatufully preserved coin with old attractive toning and mint lustre, so what is its reason anyway? Usually I break all slabs ;)

I am not going to start again long and pointless discussion about pros and cons of plastic. I remember the saying by an ANA official - "Collect coins not slabs". And I wonder if with all that TPG mantra, in 10 years slabbed coins will be kept in a third-party depository without moving them but 'collectors' will be buying paper titles or deposit receipts on a coin without even looking at the coin itself ;) ;) ;)

I see. Thanks for your reply. How do you store the coins ? ...probably, it is topic for another discussion, though.

My regards,

Nice post and coin Timofei, but I'd be scared of scratching the coin doing it that way. I haven't broken any slabs yet but I was told the best way to do it is to brake the end corners off like you did then saw down the remaining four sides. The front or back then should just come apart nicely. Does anyone have any preferred ways of de-slab coins?

Can't keep from posting this link here :ninja:

Wait for all pics to download (about 1Mb total): http://staraya-moneta.coinsportal.ru/viewtopic.php?t=3223

You should break slabs more gently (not to damage the coin), your second tool on the pic#7 looks strange. I break the slabs for my collection, but proof pattern, novodels coins I prefer keep in the slab.

You should break slabs more gently (not to damage the coin), your second tool on the pic#7 looks strange. I break the slabs for my collection, but proof pattern, novodels coins I prefer keep in the slab.

I see no reason to brake a slab, why? ;)

what for?

In the slab coin can be keep better for a long long time.

Other reason to brake for to see edge of the coin.

But to crack box to keep it different way see no reason. :ninja:

For proofs I heard various opinions from different collectors - majority thinks it is safer to keep them slabbed. An alternative is sturdy holders like Cointains and the like. I keep collection in small paper envelopes (Perma/Dur or Linder) and these envelops I store vertically in wooden boxes. There is always a risk of coin shifting inside envelope while handling the box so I take a lot of precaution (I do not know if that shifting will cause any hairline, but I prefer to think that way). I wrap gold coins coins in soft baby napkins before inserting into a coin envelope. Never breethe on a coin, never sneeze :ninja:, never touch fields by finger, use a soft pad on the table while handling, and never ever allow kids mess around while a coin is loose. Simple things.

As to the tools on pictures - it was more theatrical rather than practical. A small hammer by sides will make the sealed side parts crack.

I see no reason to brake a slab, why? ;)

what for?

In the slab coin can be keep better for a long long time.

Other reason to brake for to see edge of the coin.

But to crack box to keep it different way see no reason. :ninja:

I starting collecting then I was a kid and I like review the coin (edge ,wait ,diameter...).I can not feel the coin the same way in the slab. You should feel coin to have better experience plus I like natural toning in the wood coin cabinets.

I starting collecting then I was a kid and I like review the coin (edge ,wait ,diameter...).I can not feel the coin the same way in the slab. You should feel coin to have better experience plus I like natural toning in the wood coin cabinets.

I understand and fully agree with you that need to hold coin to feel it. But some times grade on the Slab has very important meaning, and even 1 point can make it worth double, and without original slab/grade not realy easy to proove the condition.

Also I agree that we buying the coin and not slab, but still I go for coins in the slabs.

Some coins slabbed with original cabinet toning.

I think US collectors 99% will go for slabbed coins and russians just 15-20% for slabbed.

But I could be wrong

For proofs I heard various opinions from different collectors - majority thinks it is safer to keep them slabbed. An alternative is sturdy holders like Cointains and the like. I keep collection in small paper envelopes (Perma/Dur or Linder) and these envelops I store vertically in wooden boxes. There is always a risk of coin shifting inside envelope while handling the box so I take a lot of precaution (I do not know if that shifting will cause any hairline, but I prefer to think that way). I wrap gold coins coins in soft baby napkins before inserting into a coin envelope. Never breethe on a coin, never sneeze :ninja:, never touch fields by finger, use a soft pad on the table while handling, and never ever allow kids mess around while a coin is loose. Simple things.

As to the tools on pictures - it was more theatrical rather than practical. A small hammer by sides will make the sealed side parts crack.

I'm the same way for coins and numismatic books, even some collectors and dialers fink I’m to crazy about my collection. But you should be careful any way with tools and slabs. Dealers in US breaking the slabs different way from yours.

I understand and fully agree with you that need to hold coin to feel it. But some times grade on the Slab has very important meaning, and even 1 point can make it worth double, and without original slab/grade not realy easy to proove the condition.

Also I agree that we buying the coin and not slab, but still I go for coins in the slabs.

Some coins slabbed with original cabinet toning.

I think US collectors 99% will go for slabbed coins and russians just 15-20% for slabbed.

But I could be wrong

Slabs important for sale, but not for collecting the coins.

I'm the same way for coins and numismatic books, even some collectors and dialers fink I’m to crazy about my collection. But you should be careful any way with tools and slabs. Dealers in US breaking the slabs different way from yours.

That's right, pic #6, and #7 could damage coin easy :ninja:

But what if your grandson would like to sell it? We should make it more profitable for him to have coin slabbed :ninja:

If coins (Collection) is nice .Grandson will sell for better price ;) .Just mark references Ex.Tolstoy, Ex.Klingert,Ex....

Archived