CoinPeople.com

marianne's evil twin

marianne

Follis commemorating the founding of Rome, issued in 334 when Constantine I was moving the capital from Rome to Constantinople. Lots of political hoohah.

It's a common coin, but it still astounds me that a piece of history can be so inexpensive.

919866.jpg

Okay, I bought this to make one of my brothers laugh. I've loved the Tintin/Kuifje books since I was tiny, and my brother has bought me all sorts of Tintin stuff over the years. Captain Haddock is my favorite, though. His cussing added all sorts of great words to my vocabulary.

919865.jpg

Follis commemorating the founding of Rome, issued in 334 when Constantine I was moving the capital from Rome to Constantinople. Lots of political hoohah.

It's a common coin, but it still astounds me that a piece of history can be so inexpensive.

919866.jpg

These are known as Urbs Roma pieces, supposedly issued to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of Rome. I have always liked these pieces because of the Romulus and Remus getting suckled by the wolf on the reverse.

It is cool to get something so emblematic of Rome and it's history for very little money, I have seen these for less than $10 each and for very nice examples under $150.

• 3 weeks later...
Captain Haddock is my favorite, though.

Oh, this guy?

http://boutique.europassion.org/ModuleBout...intNumeroPage=5

You guessed it - Hergé was born 100 years ago, and the Monnaie de Paris thought it would be a good idea to crank out a whole set of gold and silver (colored silver ...) collector coins. Will be issued in May or so.

Christian

Oh, this guy?

http://boutique.europassion.org/ModuleBout...intNumeroPage=5

You guessed it - Hergé was born 100 years ago, and the Monnaie de Paris thought it would be a good idea to crank out a whole set of gold and silver (colored silver ...) collector coins. Will be issued in May or so.

Christian

What would Captain Haddock say about that design?

IMG_2972.jpg

Hehe, good one. That Europassion "sticker" is of course not on the coin (but was added by that store) but the rest of the piece is bad enough. Marchands de tapis ... ou de pièces commémos françaises, phh, je m'en fous. :ninja:

Christian

If you are a true Kuifje/TinTin-fan, I can only warn you not to read the biography of Hergé. He could draw a nice bunch of comics, but the man himself wasn't nice at all, to say the least.

Regards from Belgium, the country that minted that "coin" of yours :ninja:

Jos

Okay, I bought this to make one of my brothers laugh. I've loved the Tintin/Kuifje books since I was tiny, and my brother has bought me all sorts of Tintin stuff over the years. Captain Haddock is my favorite, though. His cussing added all sorts of great words to my vocabulary.

919865.jpg

I love it. I'm a big fan of cartoonish coins though.

• 8 months later...

08e.jpg08d.jpg

I like tiny coins and gargantuan ones. This 1901 Old Head Maundy set falls into the former category, with the 1p being only 11.15mm. (Roaddevil needs one to make his Netherlands 5 cent look overweight.)

I pilfered these pics from the seller because I'm crap at coin photography. The set is in an NGC slab, making it even more difficult to capture the toning. So here's the obverse of the 3p and reverse of the... take a wild guess.

Since Queen Victoria died in January 1901, and Maundy Thursday is in April, these must have been distributed after her death. (At the time, monarchs didn't participate in the Maundy ceremony anyway.) She was 82, so 82 men & women received 82 pence each - I think. I haven't read the book. :ninja:

I'd like to free them from the slab and put them into a little Maundy case, but the slab will help slow down the toning process. Hmmm.

Although I don't collect them myself, I love the Maundy sets. Your's is a beautifully toned example. I hope you acquire some complete sets with the cases. They are not that expensive and are full of history, symbolism, etc. Great acquisition and the potential start of a passion.

Lovely Maundy pieces! I'm not sure if it still applied in 1901, but for a while in Victorian times Maundy sets were sold to the general public by mail order before being stopped due to the actual Maundy receipents being unhappy about other people being able to buy the pieces.

Although I don't collect them myself, I love the Maundy sets. Your's is a beautifully toned example. I hope you acquire some complete sets with the cases. They are not that expensive and are full of history, symbolism, etc. Great acquisition and the potential start of a passion.

Thanks! Some of the old cases are lovely in themselves, and I suspect my Maundy collection won't stop here.

I like that the coins broken out of sets are called "oddments."

Lovely Maundy pieces! I'm not sure if it still applied in 1901, but for a while in Victorian times Maundy sets were sold to the general public by mail order before being stopped due to the actual Maundy receipents being unhappy about other people being able to buy the pieces.

Yes, that was still true in 1901. People could order sets from the bank, and the mintage was 8,976. The mintages lowered considerably after the recipients complained.

Yes, that was still true in 1901. People could order sets from the bank, and the mintage was 8,976. The mintages lowered considerably after the recipients complained.

What did the recipients complain about?

What did the recipients complain about?

Well, some of them complained about their digestive systems and how everything was going to hell in a handbasket.

They also complained that the widespread availability of the Maundy sets made receiving them in the Maundy ceremony something of a crock.

Maundy coins are neat, and as you note, they were distributed to the poor etc. but examples were also available to collectors and these can be encountered in proof sets. My wife has a 1901 set that someone put on loops and put on a charm for a bracelet, I bought it for $19.01 in 2001 and gave it to her for her charm bracelet. Myself I have a 1902 Edward VII set in the original box that I bought when I was a teenager.

I really would like an Elizabeth II set, but these go up exponentially in price because of the interest in them.

Archived