CoinPeople.com

marianne's evil twin

marianne

Well, some of them complained about their digestive systems and how everything was going to hell in a handbasket.

They also complained that the widespread availability of the Maundy sets made receiving them in the Maundy ceremony something of a crock.

:ninja:;) And thanks for the Maundy set info.

• 9 months later...

1622obv1.jpg1622rev1.jpg

Fellow CP denizen hiho backed away from the auction for this 1622 Westfriesland rijksdaalder when he learned I'd been draw to it. He is a chivalrous person and a terrible influence. :ninja:

It weighs 28.72 gr and is 42 cm in diameter. There are a few weirdnesses on the reverse that puzzle me, like the line running from the bottom of the "C" at 8 o'clock and that trailing line of silver over the "16." Maybe it was just a sloppy hammering job? There's certainly lots of doubling.

The daalder equalled 30 stuivers. In 1622, an unskilled worker made 12 stuivers a (long) day, while artisans made around 28 stuivers. I found a ledger from slightly later in the century that showed the yearly expenses of a minister. His fruit and vegetable purchases amounted to 448 stuivers, while he spent 1400 stuivers on wine & beer! Oh, and he also spent twice as much on cleaning products as he did on fruits & vegetables, in keeping with the Dutch reputation for insane amounts of scrubbing.

enkhuizen_west-friese_munt.jpg

In 1622, Westfrisian coins were minted either in Hoorn or in Enkhuizen. This is the Enkhuizen mint, at Westerstraat 125. My dad was born and raised at Westerstraat 95. Both buildings are still standing; the mint is some sort of office and my grandparents' house is primarily a Chinese restaurant.

• 1 month later...
Fellow CP denizen hiho backed away from the auction for this 1622 Westfriesland rijksdaalder when he learned I'd been draw to it. He is a chivalrous person and a terrible influence. ;)

My wife may argue the chivalrous part but I'm sure she will agree that I am and always have been a terrible influence... :ninja:

Just bought three Dutch Lion Daalders from Heritage, a 1638 from Utrecht (XF), another 1638 from West Friesland (VF) and a 1698 from Gelderland (VF).

All three came from the Dr. Patrick Tan collection, a collector with a keen eye for nice coins.

The West Friesland has your name written all over it Marianne. Oops, there I go being a terrible influence again... ;)

• 1 month later...
My wife may argue the chivalrous part but I'm sure she will agree that I am and always have been a terrible influence... :ninja:

Your wife probably knew what she was getting herself into. ;)

I'm more concerned about your offspring. You'd better not be encouraging anyone else to buy up Westfrisian coins, buster.

Your wife probably knew what she was getting herself into. :ninja:

I'm more concerned about your offspring. You'd better not be encouraging anyone else to buy up Westfrisian coins, buster.

Fear not Marianne, my children have no interest in coins whatsoever.

And if I asked them where West Friesland was they would probably both guess California... ;)

Archived