CoinPeople.com

new member from uk

hi all!

i am a total beginner and at the stage of reading as many books as i can

and of course joining these forums!

i am leaning towards collecting english hammered coins but dont want to jump in w/o more knowledge.........

coz that could cost me a lot of ££££££££££

are there many english hammered collectors/dealers in the us?

any advice or help would be gratefully received

cheers dave

Welcome Dave,

I collect mainly British coins. Most tend to be milled, but I have got a couple of hammered.

I can see why you would wish to collect them. My advice would be to buy from reputable dealers or slabbed/graded if buying from eBay especially to begin with as you don't want to get your fingers burned early on and decide to quit collecting coins.

The grades on slabbed coins especially hammered are often open to debate so don't rely solely on the grade given on the slab. After a while you will be able to roughly grade coins yourself, again grading hammered as apposed to milled is a whole different ball game.

Welcome aboard :ninja:

Yes there are English hammered collectors in the USA, I started with English hammered, and still have quite a few of them, but I then graduated to Scottish hammered which can be seen on my website linked below. I am just too lazy to put the English hammered on the site, and in fact, I haven't even looked at the English coins in years.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the site! I'm in UK myself and a hammered English collector. I sometimes find useful articles on this site, alas! few and far between. But then, The other sites I visit have a scarcety of the subject, too! Best trawl a number of sites searching for the odd crumb!

This is a good site to air your discoveries and ask advice, though, as a number of regulars collect hammered as well as the prevelent US milled. Enjoy! :ninja:

Welcome to Coinpeople Deelcee,

I see you have discovered the joy of Hammered coins of England, there are a few colletors here in North America.

Now where to start for the new collector The first thing I recomend is you pick up a copy of Spinks Coins Of England and The United Kingdom 42nd Edition 2007, you are in luck as well, as this is the first edtion offered in colour. Check out my bookstore here, as I have a bunch of guides you will probably find useful Night Vision--IntaglioSunSet The Numismatic BookStore

if you are unable to get books online let me know and I will get you the ISBN numbers so that you can take those to your nearest Library or Bookstore, having an ISBN number makes it a lot easier for someone to locate a book fast for you.

The Spink quide is a great starting point and is helpful for learning pricing and such. Once you have decided on a series within the hammered coinage there are more specilaized works, like JJ Norths English Hammered Coinage Volumes I & II, and I would also recomend The Small Change series by P & B Withers this is probably the most current specialized research into hammered coins.

There are a couple of groups as well that are helpful here are the links to them.

Coins Of England And The United Kingdom

EnglishHammered-L

Now when it comes to buying coins, I would recomend you look at a lot of coins first to learn how to grade hammered coins it's a science and Art and really only starts to come to you after looking at coins in the hammered series over the course of years, if in doubt before you buy, ask someone here about the coin.

The are also a few reproductions on the market, they can sometimes trick new collectors, but a good givaway of them is that they are thincker than true hammered coins and have a soapy greyish appearance, I'm sorry I think I'm out of space or I would post a picture of them. Then there are the Ashmore copies reproductions that are more dangerous having been struck in silver and made from hand carved dies, Ashmore focused though more on early english/Celtic Coins and the wartime issues of Charles I.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions, someone here will know and I hope I did not bore you to death or scare you away :ninja:

Best Regards, Ray

Archived