CoinPeople.com

Grade this 1869 Shield Nickel

syzygy

Grade this 1869 Shield Nickel  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What grade is this 1869 Shield Nickel?

• MS66
    • MS65
    • MS64
    • MS63
    • MS62
    • MS61
    • MS60
    • AU58
    • AU50
    • EF45
    • EF40
    • VF35
    • VF20
    • F15
    • VG10
    • I have no idea

That was tough. Shields are difficult to gauge. I couldn't find any distinctive high points. Most of the coin seems broad and has low relief. I don't know how to describe it. I guess I just miss berries, feathers, hair, and cheeks.

Looks like some of the frost has been rubbed from the fields, particularly on the reverse. As such, the highest I can go is AU-58. But I wouldn't be surprised to find that coin in a 62 holder.

Judging by the looks of the height and sharpness of the die crack, I'd say its in a more preserved state but did have some minor rubbing in the fields.

Anyone know why that is?

I guess that it is because they are very hard - the shield was the first nickel and along with the nickel three cent piece (also found frequently with die cracks) the first nickel-copper US coin (right?). Perhaps, the dies were just not up to snuff.

I guess that it is because they are very hard - the shield was the first nickel and along with the nickel three cent piece (also found frequently with die cracks) the first nickel-copper US coin (right?). Perhaps, the dies were just not up to snuff.

Sounds about right. I should have thought of that myself.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived