CoinPeople.com

How to clean steel Lincolns?

Burks

I have a few UNC steel Lincolns that have what I guess you could call "milk spots" on them. They look very similar to those seen on ASE.

Would acetone kill the luster on these? Anyone have experience doing so? I really don't have any extras to mess around with like I can with other coins. Never attempted to clean a steel coin ever.

Thank you.

Hm. I don't know if acetone would mess with that coating or not. Maybe try it on an EF example first?

Use electricity. . . .Read up on how the museums cleam artifacts using electricity. You can buy the parts needed at any hardware or electronics store and it's safer that it sounds.

http://www.mycoincollecting.com/collecting...ectrolysis.html

I have a few UNC steel Lincolns that have what I guess you could call "milk spots" on them. They look very similar to those seen on ASE.

Would acetone kill the luster on these? Anyone have experience doing so? I really don't have any extras to mess around with like I can with other coins. Never attempted to clean a steel coin ever.

Thank you.

No. It's just a solvent, but you'd want it pure as possible. (no residue) The best common one is carbontetrachloride, but acetone works fine.

Tarnex

NOOOOO!!! The tarnex will do a good job discoloring and corroding the steel.

Acetone should not create any problems with the coin and make or may not do anything to the spots.

Distilled water wuld be another good choice to try and will probably be about as effective as the acetone. Just make sure you dry the coin completely after you use it because water and low quality steel is a receipe for rust.

Use electricity. . . .Read up on how the museums cleam artifacts using electricity. You can buy the parts needed at any hardware or electronics store and it's safer that it sounds.

http://www.mycoincollecting.com/collecting...ectrolysis.html

Forget the electricity, all that will do is strip the plating of the coin. Reverse electrolysis is a destructive cleaning meathod. Not something to try until all other possibilities have been exausted.

To start with I would suggest just distilled water and blow dry with a hair dryer. Note the spots you describe do not sound like much more than a dirty water type spot. Note that the coin you describe is Zinc coated to prevent rusting. Do not use Carbontetrachloride on coins. It is a dangerous chemical and leaves a residue.

Do not use Electrolysis. Even if you read the link someone supplied you'ld notice the first statement about not using this for valuable coins. Obvious reason is the method involves adding salt to water. Salt to be used is NaCl which in water becomes Na+ and Cl- which could and will react with the Zinc in the solution ruining the coin. TarnX eats away material that you don't want removed so don't use it on coins unless you don't care about them. Note the statement made that Tarnex will discolor steel and corrode it. Nonsence. The steel coin is covered with Zinc and no steel should be exposed unless the coin has excessive wear or damage. Acetone may work but if used be sure to rinse with distilled water and blow dry with a hair dryer.

REGARDLESS of what method you attempt, always remember that the vast majority of toning, discolorations, crude, dirt, etc on a coin are there due to a chemical reaction with the coins metal and removing such contaminates also removes some of the coins material.

To sum it all up, DON'T CLEAN COINS.

To sum it all up, DON'T CLEAN COINS.

deadhorse.gif

I wouldn't even think of using electricity to clean some spots off a coin. Old crust from being in the ground for 100 years maybe (done it before).

Forget the electricity, all that will do is strip the plating of the coin. Reverse electrolysis is a destructive cleaning meathod. Not something to try until all other possibilities have been exausted.

I've been doing it for several years and never had any problem.

Nonsence. The steel coin is covered with Zinc and no steel should be exposed unless the coin has excessive wear or damage.

Steel cents are struck on planchets punched from plated strip so there is no zinc on the edges of the coins. The steel IS exposed even on uncirculated coins. And the commercial dips WILL damage steel cents.

Archived