Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are there more experimentals other than the R and S? I must know!

There are - I don't have my book in front of me, but as I remember there are the 1928A and B series with the Y-B block (Y: prefix and B: suffix of the serial numbers) and the 1928A series (B too?) Z-B block. Then the 1935 series A-B Block. I believe all the Web Press notes are considered experimental notes. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Ohhh yes, I remember now. You're right. Fortunately/unfortunately, I do not collect with that kind of focus. That's my favorite banknote series and I've made lots and lots of progress, but I'm still cllecting by signature/star. Wow.

Nice note Dave, Do you now have all the "Experimentals"? Also, I think they were testing the paper on that version, do see any difference compared to other notes durring that time?

I qdont have ALL the experimentals, but I do have the R ans S ones. I might go for the ores at some point, but for now I'm going to focus on a couple other areas. As for a difference - well my first impression of the S was that there was nothing discernible. And that was to be expected, as the whole experiment was evidently unconclusive (I haven't found anything to state what the REAL differences were in the first place) .. But when I got the R not I was at first thinking it was a bit thinner. I at first dismissed this as it is a VF grade (sold as VF-xf) while my S is a Au-unc. I will try to get some time this evening to better compare them side by side.

Okay so I took another look at them both tonight, side by side .... While I first thought that the R was thinner than the S, I was wrong, and the notes, aside from being in different grades, have otherwise the same texture, feel, and thickness - as far as I am able to tell, anyway.

Wow-nice set of notes Baxuss! I like them all. Are you going to get all the country issues for the Central African states?

Thanks Dave, yeah I going to complete the Central African States, but there's many type of notes and countrys :yes:

Very nice additions, guys! Baxuss, I really like the Djibouti 1000F railroad note. There are six varieties of that note, none of which are horribly expensive (as long as you don't look at the one issued under Afars and Issas). I picked them all up, just because it's a neat note.

http://www.frenchbanknotes.com/frenchprints.php?country=Djibouti&section=&catalog

Dave