CoinPeople.com

World error coins

gxseries

Is anyone insane enough to collect error coins from each country? VERY tempting but I don't know how expensive it can get :ninja:

If I get one I keep it. And I look through my coins for such stuff (especially during the long winter months here :lol: ), but I do not go out and purchase error coins.

Here is one of the first that I ever found. This was taken some years ago with a very cheap scanner. Perhaps I should retake it with my digital camera. A double struck Italian 50 lire:

29.jpg

There are advantages to collecting world errors as opposed to USA only errors, price being paramount. Even British errors go for a fraction of the USA prices. I found a British 3d coin from 1943 that has a cud in the design, obviously the die was damaged. But it is not worth more than $1 or so.

Of course I keep all the Finnish errors that I find. Here is probably my best modern error find that I found last year which I posted in a thread some time ago: a doubled

Sweden 10 kronor. I am still trying to get some official recognition from my next door neighbor. :ninja:

Those two Italian pieces and the GV large cent are very interesting.

Canadian 1859 cents are very fun if you're looking for varieties. Plenty of stuff (1c and 5c varieties) in the 40s-60s as well.

I think that some regions are really easy to find, like North & South America, India, Australia, Great Britain too.

Then some that are a bit harder to find, like the rest of Europe, most of the African countries, ...

And like you've stated, the very hard ones, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and even China.

My general opinion about errorcoins that come from that part of the world (East Asia), are often very strange looking, as if they are made for merchants. Even some of them are clearly forged. Especially the coins with brockage look very suspicious...

I collect what I can, and have some Mexican and even an Australian errorcoin in my collection. But it's really not a main collection.

My errorcoins of Belgium and The Netherlands are much more important :ninja:

But one day, I would like to say I have most of the countries of the world in errorcoin. I do try to buy only off center strikes, because those are just the nicest (affordable) errorcoins out there.

Jos from Belgium

Archived