CoinPeople.com

"In God We...huh?" (new US dollar coins)

willieboyd2

"In God We...huh?"

(CBS/AP)

Got an e-mail this morning from an old blogger friend, who alerted me to an interesting twist on the new dollar coins that are about to be rolled out.

Seems one of the most familiar phrases on American money will be all-but-gone on the new dollar coins. (If you're wondering where it went, click on "edge lettering" and you'll see it there, along with "E Pluribus Unum.")

I suspect most people will look at this development and feel, frankly, short-changed.

Posted by at 10:21 AM : November 27, 2006

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2006/11/27/co...ry2209535.shtml

:ninja:

Pretty neat. We haven't had edge lettering since, when? 1836 or so?

Pretty neat. We haven't had edge lettering since, when? 1836 or so?

That is kind of cool. Now I don't really want to collect these but it seems like an ideal way to teach a young boy about the nation's history. I know just the guy :ninja:

'In god we trust' is not nearly as much of a historical landmark on our money than 'liberty' or our former national motto 'E Pluribus Unum' IMO.

'In God We Trust' was put on our money around the civil war after a letter campaign by a preacher and religious contingents thought something about God should be on our money. Then they pushed to change our national motto to that...I liked 'E Pluribus Unum' as a Motto much better...thats just me though...I am not one of those who object to god on our money.

But 'Liberty' is pretty much the most basic concept of america.

These are the first US coins I have been excited about :ninja:

What do you think will cause more of a ruckus? "In God we trust" on the edge or the removal of the word "Liberty" completely.

Will either cause so much fuss that the mint changes the design before the program ends?

According to the law the statue of liberty accurately conveys the concept of liberty. I agree, we don't need to spell it out too. Moving the clutter to the edge could be a godsend towards a good design. At least it will improve the opportunity for their to be nice portraits. God on the edge can't be worn away like God on the surface, so that should please the religious also.

Just put "In Dog We Trust".

That way God isn't on the coin to some but to others God still is.

Or just put this image on the front:

05-07-2005_dogBountyHunter.jpg

What's more American than that? Overweight guy with a mullet that thinks he's a badass!

instead of presidents it could have been former child stars instead. at least the people would recognize the names and portraits.

Yeah but what about the teens and elderly? Maybe there should be three series. The "Old, Middle, and Teenage Coin Series".

Yeah but what about the teens and elderly? Maybe there should be three series. The "Old, Middle, and Teenage Coin Series".

"In my day there was no such thing as Teenagers..." (Someone was bound to say that, i just figured i'd beat them to it!) :ninja:

I think the mint should go the whole hog and have coins of TV characters; The Waltons, The Simpsons, The Munsters (Butch Patrick gets covered twice, once by this and once by the forgotten child stars), The A-Team, and Weird Al might as well get one whilst we're at it.

How sily of me how could i have forgotten the deified William Shatner, a legend amongst men? According to uncyclopedia he's a controlled substance in some states because he's too good looking, thus perhaps putting his image on coins will cause a monetary crisis? :ninja:

Archived