CoinPeople.com

Numismatic "this" or "that"!

Doogy

Assume you had the chance to be given one of these two classic silver coins, both of which have approx. the same value per PCGS's price guide, which would you choose and why?

1921 high-relief Peace dollar, graded MS64 by NGC

c8_12_sb.JPG

1a_12_s.JPG

or........

1941 Walking Liberty Half, graded PF66 by PCGS

41wlib.50p6_5633.jpg

which would you choose, and why?

Just thought this would be fun, to hear why you came to your decision.

Doug

(pictures borrowed from the 'net for illustration purposes only)

Peace dollars really don't appeal to me, neither does having a rare yet ugly coin.

I'd pick the WLH. One of my all time favorite designs and in a proof. *drools*.

I like both coins. I'd pick the 1921 Peace dollar. One year, high relief type. First year of issue.

The proof walking liberty might prove to be a better investment in time, but it is late in the series. The 21 has more character from my point of view.

When I saw that it was a '21 peace dollar I didn't think any coin could beat it, until I scrolled down and looked at that proof.

That walker is a beautiful version of my favorite U.S. coin design.

I like the Peace dollar a lot, and the fact that it's the high relief, makes it even more attractive.

I also like the the Walking Liberty half dollar, in my opinion one of the best US coin designs.

So, a tough choice, I think I'd pick the Peace becasue it's the high relief variety

I like the Peace dollar a lot, and the fact that it's the high relief, makes it even more attractive.

I also like the the Walking Liberty half dollar, in my opinion one of the best US coin designs.

So, a tough choice, I think I'd pick the Peace becasue it's the high relief variety

Aren't ALL 1921 peace dollars "high relief"?

Def. the proof walker. I've seen a half dozen of the 21 peace in the last couple years, but I've NEVER seen a proof walker. Plus I couldn't resist having a beauty of a coin like that one. :ninja:

Well, if I were to be really honest, i'd check the current price guides and choose the one with the highest resale value. I'd then sell it and use the proceeds to buy something a little more in keeping with my own current collecting interests.

As far as US coins are concerned, i've got a `thing' for Oregon commem half dollars. Dependent upon the proceeds, i'd probably settle for a couple of those ;-)

Ian

`Moi?.... mercenary?'

The one which was actually struck for use not as a collectable. That said, my real preferance would be for a circulation strike WL of that date and grade even though it would be worth quite a bit less than the other two on the open market.

Archived