CoinPeople.com

Modern commemortive errors

regandon

I just started collecting modern commemorative mint errors. I just got this 1992-s Columbus half graded by NGC with two die cracks. This makes my thrid commemorative error coin.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=911140

The same day I bought the Columbus error half, I also got an NGC graded Civil War commem with a die crack that runs the whole lenght of the rev.

That's a neat area of collecting. I've never even thought about the idea that Modern Commems would be out there with die cracks like that. :ninja:

Would die crack be considered as an error? :ninja:

I just take it as a matter of die detoriation. But yes, if the coin is meant to be proof, I would consider as such as it is supposed to be marketed as mint packages with no defects.

I would have to say you may be correct. The three NGC graded commemoratives are taged as die cracks. But, my PCGS graded MS66 1879-s Morgan with a Partial Collar Strike is taged as Mint Error, as which it should be. So I will make sure I do not call die cracks mint errors.

I would have to say you may be correct. The three NGC graded commemoratives are taged as die cracks. But, my PCGS graded MS66 1879-s Morgan with a Partial Collar Strike is taged as Mint Error, as which it should be. So I will make sure I do not call die cracks mint errors.

:ninja: Maybe I am no longer just a voice in the wilderness. Someone actually finally got it right!

:ninja:  Maybe I am no longer just a voice in the wilderness.  Someone actually finally got it right!

I have found out that after 30+yrs as a collector and Historian, I always keep learning no matter how much I think I may know.

People are finding die cracks on the Franklin commems too.

Wasn't there something going around about doubling or tripling on some?

Pretty cool to find that though. Not sure if I'd call it a mint error. Interesting that NGC does yet they didn't bother to put it on the insert.

It's got to be rare for a "proof commemorative" die crack to make it thru. :ninja:

I like die cracks and mark them on omnicoin, but I have yet to figure out why some die cracks are listed in the vam's. Like the 1897 o vam 8a or others.

Archived