CoinPeople.com

Buffalo Gold

Dockwalliper

Personally, I like it! I know the design may be tired (or retro!?), but i'll bet it will look cool being cast in gold. I'll reserve judgement until the final coin arrives, but I like the fact that the mint is branching out from just the Eagle golds.

Doug

What alternate metel retread will they think of next?

The St. Gaudens double nickel?

Would you believe First Lady gold coins with Bust designs ? And yes, I mean just like the Bust halves. It appears classic designs will be returning - but on a bullion coin ?? :ninja:

From the bill that authorizes the coins.....

SEC. 201. GOLD BULLION COINS.

Section 5112 of title 31, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subsection (a), by adding at the end the following:

`(11) A $50 gold coin that is of an appropriate size and thickness, as determined by the Secretary, weighs 1 ounce, and contains 99.99 percent pure gold.'; and

(2) by adding at the end, the following:

`(q) Gold Bullion Coins-

`(1) IN GENERAL- Not later than 6 months after the date of enactment of the Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005, the Secretary shall commence striking and issuing for sale such number of $50 gold bullion and proof coins as the Secretary may determine to be appropriate, in such quantities, as the Secretary, in the Secretary's discretion, may prescribe.

`(2) INITIAL DESIGN-

`(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided under subparagraph (:ninja:, the obverse and reverse of the gold bullion coins struck under this subsection during the first year of issuance shall bear the original designs by James Earle Fraser, which appear on the 5-cent coin commonly referred to as the `Buffalo nickel' or the `1913 Type 1'.

`(:lol: VARIATIONS- The coins referred to in subparagraph (A) shall--

`(i) have inscriptions of the weight of the coin and the nominal denomination of the coin incused in that portion of the design on the reverse of the coin commonly known as the `grassy mound'; and

`(ii) bear such other inscriptions as the Secretary determines to be appropriate.

`(3) SUBSEQUENT DESIGNS- After the 1-year period described to in paragraph (2), the Secretary may--

`(A) after consulting with the Commission of Fine Arts, and subject to the review of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee, change the design on the obverse or reverse of gold bullion coins struck under this subsection; and

`(:cry:change the maximum number of coins issued in any year.

Archived