CoinPeople.com

New Member!!!

Hey everyone,

I thought it would be a good idea to join a forum. I've been collecting now for a few years and I am mostly interested in 19th century US coins. I am also building a collection of world coins, but I don't have any real theme to that collection. Perhaps WWII era?

I recently acquired a coronet head large cent dated 1834. It is in Extra Fine+ condition and there is a strong double die on the obverse. Liberty has two sets of lips. I cannot find any listing of double dies in my books. Does anyone know the mintage? I am assuming that the minting process back then produced a much greater supply of errors, but I don't truly know.

Thanks for reading!!!

Welcome. Unfortunately I don't have my books available right now. I'll check on your 34 and see what the different varieties may be.

Hey sbvenman, good to have you here!

I've been collecting now for a few years and I am mostly interested in 19th century US coins.  I am also building a collection of world coins, but I don't have any real theme to that collection.  Perhaps WWII era? 

Neato -- any particular U.S. types that you are concentrating on, besides coppers, or just anything old?

I recently acquired a coronet head large cent dated 1834.  It is in Extra Fine+ condition and there is a strong double die on the obverse.  Liberty has two sets of lips.  I cannot find any listing of double dies in my books.  Does anyone know the mintage?  I am assuming that the minting process back then produced a much greater supply of errors, but I don't truly know.

No mention of known double die obverses in my Breen book. The 2005 red book lists total mintage for all varieties of 1834 large cents at a mere 1,855,100. Got any pictures?? ( :ninja: -- I just love those early cents!)

Hope you have a lot of fun here! :lol:

Archived