CoinPeople.com

Hello.

I have been on the side lines and looking over the forums for a few days. Very nice and friendly. My area of coin collecting is from the 8th to 19th century.

regandon

Welcome -- coins from the 8th to 19th Century that's a large range. Anything in particular within that timeframe that would qualify as your favorite?

Art,

I would have to say that my favorite would have to be the very large 47.5mm 2Thaler coins from the reign of Leopold I. I have three unc's graded by NGC. I have a large collection.

My whole idea of starting this collection was for my granddaughter as a history of the world through coins. It has been 30yrs in the making and far from being finished. With each coin that has a King, Queen,.....etc. there is a written history about the country and the King or Queen or......etc. that is on the coin. The biggest part of the collection is Germany, Austria and Hungary. I am starting to put together a book of the collection for my granddaughter with a picture of each coin and History of the country it comes from. So far I have 15 unknown and uncatalogued coins graded by NGC. So far to date there are 2,500 cions with 960 of them being high grade AU's or UNC, graded by NGC and PCGS.

I will post some but it will take time to get some pics as 99% of the collection is in three Banks.

regandon

I have always used coins as a way of teaching history. I have over 200 books on coins. My latest book (The Iconography of Early Anglo-Saxon Coinage) had cost me $140.00. It is a very highly recommended book on Medieval coinage.

regandon

Congratulations for stumbling across some of the nicest folks and best site you'd ever want to stumble across. Welcome!

Hello Regandon, and welcome to the forum! Your collection sounds very impressive, and I am looking forward to some of your pictures.

So far I have 15 unknown and uncatalogued coins graded by NGC.

Just curious here ... how does NGC attribute an "unknown" coin? One of the characteristics of slabbed coins is the guarantee of authenticity that it carries. But what is the authenticity of a "genuine unknown" coin? I would assume that after being slabbed, it wouldn't be unknown anymore! Are these maybe undiscovered die varieties of known coin types, as in Morgan dollar VAM numbers?

Well bobh, my favorite is a Vatican 1841/0 1/2B in MS 65 BN. If you can find it please let me and NGC know. As for the photos I will post some soon. I have tried but could not get them to post. I can send you a photo of the Vatican coin that is unlisted and uncataloged in an e-mail. Again if you can find it cataloged please let me know. It has taken me many years to build this collection to the state it is at now. If you doubt me than give me your e-mail address and I will send some photos to you. I joined this forum to help where I might be able to help others. I can back up any post I have ever posted. It is a wast of my time and I will not wast the time of the good people here with lies. So yes bobh, I do have the collection that I state I do.

regandon

Life member of the ANA

&

Director of Stachowicz and Regan Museum Founded in 2005 (no web site as of yet)

If you doubt me than give me your e-mail address and I will send some photos to you. I joined this forum to help where I might be able to help others. I can back up any post I have ever posted. It is a wast of my time and I will not wast the time of the good people here with lies. So yes bobh, I do have the collection that I state I do.

:ninja:

I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise ... no need to get defensive!

If I said something wrong, I'm really sorry. I was just curious as to what NGC would put on the slab for an unlisted coin. Didn't mean to cast doubt on any of your statements.

bobh,

I would like to say sorry for the way I acted. I would of felt the same way after reading my post over. Sorry to all I will not be so fast on the send key again. This recataloging the collection is starting to get to me. I guess its time to go back on the side lines where I belong.

regandon

One reason why I asked concerns NGC as opposed to other 3rd party grading services. I collect Russian coins, and NGC seems to be the company of choice for these. However, they don't necessarily have the best track record regarding varieties -- which seem to be what you collect (among other things).

For example, there are some years of coins minted during the period of Nicholas II which have different mintmaster initials engraved on the edge of the coin. With slabs, we always have a problem regarding the edge of a coin. But NGC has improved a bit and now has the new kind of slab where the edge can be viewed (that is, as long as the mintmaster initials aren't directly underneath one of the four supports!)

As you can see, I don't necessarily share the infatuation with slabbed coins that some other people do. The most important collections did very well without the slabs up until recently -- for example, I just bought a catalog of one of the Superior auctions of the Jascha Heifetz collection, and nothing was slabbed! Of course, this was in 1989.

If I were a collector of this stature, I don't think I would bother to slab any of my most important coins. If you have unlisted or unique varieties, the numismatic literature will bear you out, even without a slab. I hope you can save some money by NOT slabbing your most important and rare coins!

How can you show us your collection from the sidelines I am very interested to see your collection as well. If the picture sizes are less than 1mb you can always upload them onto www.imageshack.us and then post the direct link they give into your post or even the forum 1 link that they give or even try www.photobucket.com but you have to register there to upload pictures that is the way I have done it on other forums.

Welcome by the way from one newbie to another.

Archived