CoinPeople.com

A Little Noobie Help?

oldcdn

I now have been handed my dads coin collection but unfortunately they were stored in a damp basement on the ground for 7-10 years and have quite a bit of unnatural discoloration. Can these be cleaned in a safe manner? There are included several Morgan Silver Dollars from the late 1800s.

Any suggestions greatly appeciated!

We'd really need to see some pictures to get a feel for what type of discoloration you're talking about. Otherwise take them to a reputable dealer and ask him/her for advice.

I now have been handed my dads coin collection but unfortunately they were stored in a damp basement on the ground for 7-10 years and have quite a bit of unnatural discoloration.  Can these be cleaned in a safe manner? There are included several Morgan Silver Dollars from the late 1800s.

Any suggestions greatly appeciated!

Basically if the discoloration is a greying of the silver coins and a darkening on copper, then a general suggestion would be to leave as be and place them into a dryer environment. If the discoloration is green or something similar, then it may be more corrosive and you will want to do some damage control.

Okay, blue around the edges is probably a good thing. The brownish - well, we'd need to see the photos when you can get them loaded up. As has been said before here, there are collectors (many!) who love "toned" coins. Don't attempt to clean them until you get opinions from other collectors here.

Welcome to CoinPeople !!! :ninja:

The Pic..does not seem I am allowed to attach....

Try uploading them to a place like www.photobucket.com and then attaching them. Never fails for me, very hard to go over the limit (if there is one). I've never hit it.

Nothing wrong with them that I can see. If you lived in Virginia, I'd invite you to bring them to me so I could give you my opinion on value. Welcome to CP. You'll like the folks here, I believe.

Guest Stujoe

From the pictures the coins don't look bad but it is a little tough to tell. The only thing that jumped out at me is the coin holders look to be a very soft plastic. That always brings up the possibility of PVC contamination in my mind, especially with the wet environment, heat, etc.

Often that kind of contamination is greenish and a little slimy. Sometimes the holders will have a 'new shower curtain' type of smell. If you notice anything like that, there are often ways of taking care of that without damaging the coins. As was already posted, I believe, is don't clean the coins. If there is PVC contamination, there are people here who have experience with it and can guide you.

And welcome to the forums!

Archived