CoinPeople.com

Hypothetical Collection?

mmarotta

When writing here and there, I occasionally generalize a point by making up a coin, such as the Seated Buffalo Sixpence.

What series of coins would you collect, if the series (or the coin) actually existed?

Perhaps that is a very interesting question.

Seeing that how eagles are VERY popular in most countries as in emblems while almost non-existant in many countries, I would be very interested if I could collect eagle coins of all countries, regardless of them being commemoratives. :ninja:

Maybe lions too would be an excellent example too. :lol:

Very interesting question.

I would probably collect a series issued by various countries under a common theme and logo, like FAO series, but something more universal. Some of the topics I would find appealing are: environment (natural wonders from every country), citizens of the world, national epics (like Kalevala coin from Finland).

Naked First Ladies Gold Dollars :ninja:

Ultra High Relief United States Half Dollars with a 21st Century Lady Liberty

:ninja:

I would get this with my US mint set, which would feature images of Liberty on ALL it's coinage.

Another would be Carthago Nova series minted in Rome after the Carthaginians victory.

Imagine all the great French coinage that'd be around if the revolution had failed to occur. A pretty big if, but Louis XVII coinage has it's advantages as do all those 1801 Louis XVI coins, a very rare year for ecus. :ninja:

< Circulated Edward VIII coinage. >

That DOES exist.  Not from England, but what is it East Africa?

Foreign and of no concern to me. :ninja:

Yes you're right it does exist and i did consider it but it doesn't carry quite as much impact as it's not portrait coinage.

Although of course as you perhaps should have pointed out some of the Edward VIII brass threepences are lightly circulated. I think one of them actually has a finger print on it.

How do you remain functional, carrying a brain that comes up with things like that?  :lol:

Decades of practice :cry:

Naked First Ladies Gold Dollars :lol:

You could use those as a theft deterrent for your collection. Nobody would steal them! They would probably keep unwanted pests away too. :cry:

I would also love to collect a US Nature's Wonders series of quarters.

You know, this thread has got me thinking... how about a new issue entirely?

tr_dollar.jpg

I think that'd make a nice general-circulation $2 coin--still working on the reverse, I was trying to find a St. Gaudens image of an eagle that wasn't already used on a coin, although resurrecting the reverse of the $10 might be okay. And maybe it should be bimetallic. But still. I'd collect these.

• 11 months later...

Guns on one side, knives on the other. Each country could make the ones for the guns they are famous for and same with knives. Would make for an interesting collection.

Of course a series of coins with cars on them. Obverse is the front of the car. Reverse is side or rear view. The bigger the car, the bigger the coin.

Guns on one side, knives on the other. Each country could make the ones for the guns they are famous for and same with knives. Would make for an interesting collection.

Of course a series of coins with cars on them. Obverse is the front of the car. Reverse is side or rear view. The bigger the car, the bigger the coin.

Where'e Frued when we need him? :ninja:

Archived