CoinPeople.com

Ebay Tale

bill

I recently bought a medal for my aluminum collection on Ebay. The medal itself is in the following post in the Exonumia Virtual Museum (100 Years of Bliss).

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=7220

I first saw this medal for sale as a 1903 art medal, presumed to be in honor of the death of E.W. Bliss (1836-1903). It is large (68 mm) and high relief. The excellent photographs accompanying the auction showed a fine medal that appeared to be 100 years old. I bid the opening price (something like $25). Shortly after I bid, another bidder topped me by a dollar. I waited a day and bid $50. The other bidder raised me a dollar or two. Damn, I wanted the medal. I bid $125. The other bidder went $126.50. Not to be out done, I bid $155. An hour later, my unseen competitor bid 156.50.

At that point, I decided I need to do more research. I didn't learn much more, but my Google searches turned up another Bliss medal with a slightly different description and an assumed date of 1957. Why the difference, the second offering included the Medallic Art box and original brochure (it only said MIB - something I recognize from my wife's Hallmark Christmas ornament addiction - not that it was a Medallic Art product) noting the medal was in honor of 100 years of the company (identified as starting in 1857). The seller didn't mention Marconi and the photographs didn't show the full beauty or relief of the medal. I posted the opening bid of $10 and held my breath for six days. My wife even hung over my shoulder watching the final minutes tick down (my reserve bid was higher than the openning, but not by much). I got it. It arrived. It is even better than I hoped.

Had I not done my research, I would have paid a lot more and known less than I do now from an even better purchase. Everyone involved sold their product at a fair value as determined by the auction or paid what they felt the product was worth. In the end, I think I got the best deal of all and I know I have a great addition to my aluminum collection.

It pays to do your research.

Nicely done, Bill, and congrats on getting the less expensive medal ! :ninja:

Doesn't sound like a bidding war. Sounds more like the other bidder was helping the seller possibly. If the other bidder was putting in 1 bid and it just happened to make it over your bid every time, then you know he was helping the seller get a higher price.

Archived