CoinPeople.com

Yeah, like I need to start a new subcollection...

ikaros

I have one coin with Enrico Fermi--a 1984 San Marino 200 lire piece--which has started me thinking about creating a collection of coins based on my scientific interests: physics, astronomy and mathematics. Chemistry, just to get Mme. Skłodowska-Curie in on it :ninja:

So aside of being clearly insane for wanting to add yet another collection category, what science-related issues are there that folks can think of? I expect there's got to be at least one Einstein issue out there, at least.

There's a lot of scientists commemorated on coins, even more on banknotes. Just start flipping through Krause :ninja: Start with the East German section.

I have one coin with Enrico Fermi ... physics, astronomy and mathematics.

You will find more out there than you might think.

Commemorative coins are a good medium for selling images to collectors. If you want them, that's fine. Myself, money has to circulate (or be intended for circulation) to be money by definition.

Then, there is authenticity. Fermi was not really from San Marino and Einstein certainly was not from Paraguay.

On the other hand, Israel put Einstein on their circulating banknotes just for being Jewish, sort of. (I am not sure how observant he was.) But, I accept that because paper money is the lawful obligation of the government (or bank) and is not to be trifled with. So, to me, a banknote that stretches a point is more authentic than a coin -- or a stamp. So, I have many scientists on banknotes -- Einstein, Newton, Curie, Galileo, a few more -- and have not got the best of the crop yet. the high-value Danish with Neils Bohr, etc.

If you want to stick to coins, that's fine, too. Just don't forget FRANKLIN. He was admitted to membership in the Royal Society because of his work with electricity. The kite trick was ok, but it was his theoretical explanation that impressed his peers. (How about Jefferson?)

Germans -- East, West, and united -- have many coins with scientists on them. I have Max Planck, for instance. I have Carl Zeiss, perhaps more of an "engineer" than a scientist. Would you consider Goethe a scientist?

The UK put Newton and Sir Humphrey Davies on notes. There is a UK coin -- 2 pounds? -- with "Shoulders of Giants" and a solar system in honor of Newton, though it is not a portrait. I also have Newton on two Conder Tokens. In fact, I have a 40-gram silver round commemorating Newton on my computer keyboard right now. It is opposite two modern Greek coins: Aristotle (biologist, if nothing else) 5 drachmai 1982 and Democritos (atomic theory; has "Bohr model" atom on the reverse) 10 drachmai 1976.

When you expand your list of "scientists" to include "mathematicians" (fair, of course), then you get Descartes and a couple more ... and the current Iraqi 1000 Dinar with Alhazen (Abu Ali Hasan Ibn Al-Haithan). Also in the series is a note with an Astrolabe. So, do you include scientific instruments?

I have one coin with Enrico Fermi ... physics, astronomy and mathematics.

You will find more out there than you might think.

That's kind of what I was hoping for, actually. :ninja:

Commemorative coins are a good medium for selling images to collectors.  If you want them, that's fine. Myself, money has to circulate (or be intended for circulation) to be money by definition

Then, there is authenticity.  Fermi was not really from San Marino and Einstein certainly was not from Paraguay. 

I'm with you on the commemoratives; I would prefer issues that were general releases--but I'll bend the rule if it's a coin I think is really cool. The main criterion is that I think it counts. The only thing such a collection has to do is please me. The question of the national origin of the coin isn't especially relevant to me. A nice Einstein coin is a nice Einstein coin, be it Swiss, German or Paraguayan. There were a few nice centennial issues for Special Relativity last year that I need to get, I know that...

On the other hand, Israel put Einstein on their circulating banknotes just for being Jewish, sort of.  (I am not sure how observant he was.)  But, I accept that because paper money is the lawful obligation of the government (or bank) and is not to be trifled with.  So, to me, a banknote that stretches a point is more authentic than a coin -- or a stamp.  So, I have many scientists on banknotes -- Einstein, Newton, Curie, Galileo, a few more -- and have not got the best of the crop yet. the high-value Danish with Neils Bohr, etc.

If you want to stick to coins, that's fine, too.  Just don't forget FRANKLIN.  He was admitted to membership in the Royal Society because of his work with electricity.  The kite trick was ok, but it was his theoretical explanation that impressed his peers.  (How about Jefferson?)

I've seen the Israeli banknote--nice, but I'm just not interested in paper money. FYI, identified closely with Zionism in the face of anti-Semitism, but was never an observant Jew.

I already collect Franklins and Jeffersons, so I'm set there.

Germans -- East, West, and united -- have many coins with scientists on them.  I have Max Planck, for instance. I have Carl Zeiss, perhaps more of an "engineer" than a scientist.  Would you consider Goethe a scientist? 

I'm an astronomer, so you better believe Zeiss counts--optics and astronomy are both sciences! :lol:

I hadn't contemplated Goethe... huh. Might just.

The UK put Newton and Sir Humphrey Davies on notes.  There is a UK coin -- 2 pounds? -- with "Shoulders of Giants" and a solar system in honor of Newton, though it is not a portrait.  I also have Newton on two Conder Tokens.  In fact, I have a 40-gram silver round commemorating Newton on my computer keyboard right now.  It is opposite two modern Greek coins: Aristotle (biologist, if nothing else) 5 drachmai 1982 and Democritos (atomic theory; has "Bohr model" atom on the reverse) 10 drachmai 1976.

When you expand your list of "scientists" to include "mathematicians" (fair, of course), then you get Descartes and a couple more ... and the current Iraqi 1000 Dinar with Alhazen (Abu Ali Hasan Ibn Al-Haithan).  Also in the series is a note with an Astrolabe.  So, do you include scientific instruments?

I might include instrumentation, if it's on a coin. Paper money just isn't my thing--dunno why, I just never caught the paper bug.

I knew there were several Greek issues with classical Hellenic scientists on them. I think there was a general issue, actually... ah, well. The more, the merrier. And I have a UK friend who visits the States every year... I'll have to pester him for a couple of the 'Shoulders' coins when he comes over this summer. :cry:

Oooh, that's a nice one.

BTW, I have got to ask--the Aiko eye for your user image--you a Deadhead? And would it be Uncle Bobo for Mystery Science Theater? :ninja:

Funny how no one has attempted to depict any Russian scientists.

Actually, Russia has commemorated way too much for one's comfort zone :ninja:

Academy of Science

M.V. Lomonosov

160th Anniversary of A.P. Borodin

150th Anniversary of K.A. Timiryazev

130th Anniversary of the Birth of V.I. Vernadsky

150th Birthday of N.E. Zhukovsky

100th Birthday of A.L. Tchizhevsky

275th Anniversary of the Russian Academy of Sciences

More to come the next post :lol:

The list goes on slightly longer if you added in Gagarin, as he contributed to the field of science. :ninja:

Absofragginlutely, I'd count Gagarin. Yeesh. What have I done? :lol:

Here's a great site with a list of coins with mathematicians:

http://geocities.com/joek_bm/faltas_matematica.htm

And pictures of the coins:

http://geocities.com/joek_bm/matematicos.htm

He also has a nice section of coins with different geometric shapes :ninja: :

http://geocities.com/joek_bm/formas.htm

There's a great medal out, let me see if I can find the Ebay link. Saw it earlier today.

Edit: OK the link doesn't work. It's called the Society of Medalists #83 "Unleashing the Atom" or something like that.

Living so close to Niagara Falls my first though was......Nikola Tesla.

Sure enough...

YUGOSLAVIA 20 DINARA COIN 1995, (KM169)  TESLA, PROOF 

http://www.joelscoins.com/serbia.htm

Actually, the coin is dated 1996, not 1995. Not sure why Joel Anderson even put 1995 in the title, as he also states in the description that it is dated 1996.

908719.jpg

Don't forget about the Greek 10 drachmas coin, featuring the atom on the obverse and Democritus (460 - 370 BC) on the reverse.

Definitely can't forget that--that was a general issue for a couple years, wasn't it?

Saw some sweet Sklodowska-Curie, Gagarin and Tsiolkovskiy coins on eBay today. Oh, me achin' wallet!

You know, it also occurs to me that Sir Isaac Newton was Warden, then Master, of the Royal Mint... it might be worth finding a coin minted under his tenure. Of course, since I collect British anyway, that would scratch two itches. :ninja:

I haven't caught the medal bug m'self--the only non-coin I saw that I had to have is a small silver medallion minted from a melt that had a small amount of silver that went to the moon on Apollo XIV--looks rather like this, but this one isn't mine.

The Russians are going to be a treasure trove for space-themed coinage. There were several Gagarin issues, at least one each Tereshkova and Tsiolkovskiy. I wouldn't be surprised to find coins with Mir, Salyut, the Vostok and Soyuz series... yeesh. I'm in a lot of wallet trouble, aren't I? :ninja:

Yes, real trouble. :cry:

Here is an example of a silver proof Gagarin coin and a Vostok medal. I'm sure it was marketed towards N. America...

And lastly, if you are into mad science, here is a medal minted from R-12 (SS-4) Soviet medium range missiles ;)

:ninja:

You're evil. EVIL! I have GOT to have that missile medal. That's just too warped not to have. :lol:

Meanwhile, I'm jonesin' for $110 for a medallion that includes metal from both the Eagle lander and Columbia service module... sheesh! So much for not having "caught the medal bug"!

Archived