CoinPeople.com

Your opinions please.

stu62

If you gave me pictures of this coin and nothing else, I would have said without a doubt cleaned. The field coloring should be much closer to the dark grey you see in the recessed areas. Plus if ANACS says its cleaned, I would tend to believe them.

Just my 2¢ Piece worth.

I'd say cleaned. The dirt being tight around the stars and lettering while the rest of the coin exhibits a "flat" grayness would say cleaned to me. Of course, I'd want to examine the actual coin before I was sure.

Probably won't tone much in the slab, I wouldn't think.

I agree that it does not look to have been harshly cleaned with an abrasive from the pictures. The only thing that speaks to me is the big difference between the fields and the areas in and around the designs. The fields just look too lightened up. I bet it was quite a bit darker in teh fields before. Impossible to tell if it has a more polished look in person.

very very very very very very very cleaned. I have cleaned those before (because I am a cleaner not a slabber) and have looked excatly like that one. ANYTIME you see that dark halo around all the devices and dates and whatnot that is a very good indicator that at least once in its lifetime it was cleaned. It was probably cleaned 50+ years ago since all of the high points have redulled and all the hits and scratches have filled in again.

Archived