CoinPeople.com

Militaria on coins...

Tiffibunny

In putting these up in the Russian Virtual Coin Museum...

http://www.coinpeople.com/b1991-1995-Russi...nt-b-t6760.html

I thought what a nice subject for a thread. Post whatever you got. Get funky. Go ahead with medals, medallions, colorized stuff, commems, circ issues, whatever is military realated.

So here's what I have (besides the Russian WWII commems)....

902613.jpg

904334.jpg

901260.jpg

901261.jpg

901262.jpg

898203.jpg

899526.jpg

896216.jpg

905586.jpg

904810.jpg

Okay, I'm game. But, I'm diving into the past. A Celtic warrior of the Pictones, shortly before the Gallic Wars (ca. 60 - 50 BC). He's holding a boar standard and an oblong shield.

907917.jpg

Hmm ... now what did I do with that French coin with the soldier frantically waving a white flag ...

:ninja:

Two from the Battle of Waterloo:

898959.jpg

The above is a restrike from 1967 of a medal that technially never was. By the time it was engraved completely everyone commemorated on it was dead. It came to me with oily fingerprints that I haven't had the guts to try to clean yet.

898484.jpg

An example of how the winners get to write the history. This guy was nicked in the great battle and he celebrated his bravery by digging up the battlefield and building the famous Lion's Mound. Unfortunately he destroyed the actual landscape to get enough dirt to build the Mound.

899158.jpg

The coins of Mozmbique have their national coat of arms on them. An integral part of said coat of arms is an AK-47...

Further, some Arabic states have pistols, knives, swords, etc. on their coins.

Archived