CoinPeople.com

The Expert's Guide...

syzygy

A month or so ago, I picked up a copy of “The Expert's Guide to Collecting and Investing in Rare Coins”, the latest by Q. David Bowers. While I am not going to attempt to provide a traditional book review, I would like to share some impressions of this significant work.

First of all, yes, I enjoyed it thoroughly and I will continue to use it - it's that kind of book. I recommend it to anyone interested in US coins. I had a 30% off coupon from Borders, so the $29.95 list price shrunk to a size that most anyone can manage. Here is a link to the stats, if you are interested The Expert's Guide....

Although “US” is not in the title, it probably should be as there is virtually no mention of non-US coins. But, there sure is a lot of material on virtually all US coins. There are even chapters on Tokens, Medals, and several chapters on banknotes, even including confederate notes.

For me, the meat of the volume consists of a huge amount of insight into the details and characteristics of almost every segment of US Coins. All of it presented with a combination of cold facts and historical background. At a hefty 655 pages, it is impressively thorough – all the usual copper, nickel, silver and gold coins and much more. There are also chapters on proofs, colonials, commemoratives and patterns. You will also get chapters on conservation and cleaning, keeping a library and even one on selling. Some of the detail on particular issues is very impressive. So much so, that it feels like you are getting insider information – undoubtedly owing to the unusual expertise of the author.

An added benefit is a focus on all the personalities, past and present, in the numismatic world – very friendly. Decent illustrations throughout Oh yes, I almost forgot – the investing part. Well, I hate to admit this, but all the information on investing was the least valuable to me – at least at present.

I've read the book "Collecting Rare Coins for Profit" by the same author (printed in the 70's I believe). Rather well written book, I quite enjoyed it.

I'll see if my library has a copy of this new one. If not I'll request it.

I have just gotten the book but haven't really started to read it yet. I'm looking forward to it. As soon as I finish the book on the SS Republic, it's next on the queue.

From your review, it sounds like a worthwhile addition to the ol' numismatic library. How was his coverage of early copper varieties?

From your review, it sounds like a worthwhile addition to the ol' numismatic library. How was his coverage of early copper varieties?

The chapter on copper has a decent treatment of half and large cents, I guess. But maybe not as in depth as you would like. There is a chapter on colonials that I found pretty darn good.

I don't own any double eagles but I found Q. David Bowers book on double eagles terrific.I find him to be the best numismatic writer out there.I will definately check out this book.

Archived