CoinPeople.com

new forum member requesting input from the fourm

Doogy

I am very happy to find this forum, as it seems to be very friendly and informative. I have long wanted to collect gold coins, and have found a tremendous amount of world gold coinage varieties. many of these are quite beautiful, and trade for just a bit above melt value, making them very attractive to me.

I have focused my attention on getting some nice AU/BU coins from around that world that are roughly 1/4 ounce each. Most of these can be found for less than $200. I have considered using an independent coin grader, and found a few posts doing some compare/contrasts of NGC, PCGS and ANACS. From my brief research on both the respective grader websites and here, i think ANACS would be best for my needs due to the rather common nature of the coins i'm collecting. I understand many that use the other two when having ultra-rare and valuable coins graded, but my coins are pretty inexpensive. Am i correct in my thinking that ANACS would be ideal for my needs?

Also, i'm thrilled to have found as many varieties of world gold in my price range so far. Which coins do you either have in your collection or do you find to be a good buy in world gold?

Thanks to other forum members that are kind enough to weigh in on my post. I look forward to hearing your input!

Regards,

Doug :ninja:

French 20 Franc, Brit half sovereigns and Hungarian 20 Korona are all usually good bargains. Burt Blumert is a reliable dealer:

The Camino Company

800-982-7070 800-348-8001 650-348-3000

851 Burlway, Suite 202

Burlingame, California 94010

Hours: 8:30am – 4:30pm, California time

email- burtblumert@comcast.net

BTW, why do you want your coins slabbed?

I have long wanted to collect gold coins, and have found a tremendous amount of world gold coinage varieties.  many of these are quite beautiful, and trade for just a bit above melt value, making them very attractive to me.

Doug    :ninja:

They trade as bullion coins at just above melt. Once you start getting into slabbing/certifying/grading, they become collector coins, and the prices go way up. As long as stick with the more readily available varieties of world gold (sovereigns, French roosters, Swiss helveticas, etc), and use reliable dealers, you should be able to bypass the whole "alphabet soup" (you know... BU, DCAM, PCGS, etc)

If you are into world gold coins, you can pick up quite a fair bit of coins by their bullion value, and yes, definately less than 200 dollars, depending on which country. Most major countries should offer such gold coins as bullion format, such as the maple, kurgurrant (S. Africa, sorry can't remember the spelling), eagle, and so on.

Here is an excellent link to a dealer, Clark Smith, who specializes in world gold coins: http://www.coinvault.com Another excellent dealer would be Panda America: http://www.pandaamerica.com

The next question is, why would you want your coins to be slabbed? Is it necessary? Most of the times, you should be able to get your coins in mint packed condition or there might be dealers who sell them in slabs.

It is only benefitial if the gold coins were not originally in their mint packaging, i.e. pre 1950s gold coins, which I can understand. But have you worked out the costs and time? :ninja: Or I guess you want to slab them for insurance purposes?

Welcome to the board! You raise some interesting questions, and like others I wonder why slabbing would be important. As for ideas to collect, I don't do much in world gold but I do really like Mexican 50-peso coins (though these are likely out of your price range of $200 or less). Another area you might want to look into is commemorative gold coins. I am not sure about world commems, but I've seen many modern US commemorative $5 gold pieces selling for just above melt value. In fact I saw an ad in this week's Coin World from a company selling modern $5 gold commems for just $139 each! At $550/oz. these coins have a melt value of $137.36 and most have mintages well under 1 million coins.

thank you all very much for your helpful insight! As far as slabbing these coins go, I think i was a little vague in my first post. My interest lies in turn of the century coins, the only two i have so far are in the 1890s. With this being said, i'm interested in having a third party grade them for my own curiosity as well as to protect them in the sealed slabs. The buillion coins (Maple Leafs, Eagles, others) that some have mentioned are on my list of purchases, but i understand a lot of these come in plastic holders anyway; i'm really only wanting to get third party grading on the old coins.

thanks for the input, and i especially appreciate the links to trusted coin dealers that have old gold.

Doug

Welcome to CoinPeople :ninja:

Have you thought about just putting the coins in Airtites? They are quite protective, and cost a lot less than using a TPG. If you definitely want them officially "slabbed", then ANACS, as you said, would be the best choice as they are less expensive than PCGS or NGC.

28plain's icon coin is one I put up here a long time ago (just the picture - I never owned this one) - a British Victorian Gothic Crown.

With PCGS and NGC you are paying a premium for the name. ANACS coins are a little less expensive.

Check out Collector's Universe as well (not to take away from CP). There are people selling gold coins on there all the time. Most are not slabbed but the people selling are very well known and respected.

thanks for the input on Air-Tites! I found their website, and they look quite cool. I can get different color foam ring borders for the coins in the Air-Tite cases, giving them a spalsh of color. the price seems pretty reasonable for what you get. Does anyone on the forum have any pics of their gold coins in these, and what is the overall consensus on these holders? thanks again!

Doug

Howdy Doug - Welcome to the Forum !!

Must be something about guys named Doug and world gold coinage - I suffer from the same affliction :ninja:

Now, everyone has been asking why have the coins slabbed ? Well, since I collect the same kind of coins you're talking about, I can tell you the reason why I prefer it. To make sure the coins are genuine. Every single one of them has been counterfeited to death !

I will agree, if you buy only from reputable dealers, the chances of getting a counterfeit go down. But they do not disappear. Many reputable dealers buy the coins mentioned, Roosters, Angels, Sovereigns, Swiss Miss etc. in bulk. And frankly, they don't check every single coin. As a result, sometimes a bad one slips through. A reputable dealer will replace the coin or refund your money - but first you have to determine that it's counterfeit and that's not always easy. Even the British govt. has bene known to dole out counterfeit gold, unknowingly, to their troops as survival money.

Some of the counterfeit gold coins are quite good, made with real gold and even of the correct fineness. But counterfeit all the same. And if you're not right at the top of your game in being able to detect counterfeits - you'll never know the difference. So I am HUGELY in favor of buying these coins slabbed - even if it does cost a few extra bucks. I collect the coins for the coins - not for how much they cost me. And I want the real deal - not fakes.

Whether you slab or not (and I don't like slabs myself), I strongly encourage you to learn as much as you can by looking at lots of coins. If you rely solely on slabbing to confirm that the coins you are buying are genuine, you put yourself at even greater risk. While I agree that we all need help of services, competent dealers, etc, we need to be armed with our own experience and informed judgement as well. It takes some work, but I'm reminded of the value of looking closely at coins every time I take a new look at my own. There are always few that will give you pause and remind you of poor decisions made when you didn't know enough, but you want to be sure you learned from them. Depend on others, but be sure you learn from them.

Air-tites do come in a variety of sizes, some as large as silver dollars others smaller for quarter and dime size coins. Another product you may want to check out is the Amos Advantage "slab" holders. These are hard plastic holders that are much like slabs, but you can open and close them and write a coin description and notes on the insert. I only have a few of these, but they are very handy if you are going for a mixed collection of raw and slabbed coins. These will fit in the same storage box with the ANACS slabs, so old coins (ANACS) and new coins that are uncertified can be stored together.

Following coins are sold at melt

Dutch 10 Florins of many dates

Belgian 20 francs Albert and Leopold II

French 20 francs Napoleon III and Angel and Rooster

Old and New Sovereigns

Suisse Vrenellis

The ask and bid price of exchange agenst in Belgium is attached

Do not look at the Eagles because they only buy ( and sell to american dealers)

http://www.gold4ex.be/servlet/javaparser.c...st_or_new&lg=nl

Welcme to Coin People and welcome to numismatic collecting, in general, Doogy! I agree with the general sentiment that there is no reason to "slab" a common gold coin. In fact, you are in a great area of collecting specifically because these 19th century gold coins are so common.

If you go to the website of ANA members Liberty Coins in East Lansing (www.libertycoinservice.com) you will find their list of about 20 kinds of 19th and 20th century gold coins in your range... Russian 5 Roubles... Columbian 5 pesos... French... Swiss .... Prussian ... etc., etc.

You could collect nothing but Sovereigns. They came from seven mints. Victoria had several heads. Some people collect Shield soveigns by die number. (The reverse of the coin, under the shield, has the number of the die on it.) Like you, though, I would prefer to collect a wider range from more times and places.

You will do well for yourself to find an ANA member dealer in your area. You can save money by shopping online with reputable dealers -- but you do not learn anything in the process. I have been a customer of Liberty since 1972. The first owner taught me "obverse" and "reverse." He also told me the story of the Tibetan Tangka and "Levi Loomis and the Bank of Singapore." I still look to the current owner and his staff for help (and quotable quotes) when I am assigned an article to write for Numismatist magazine. Liberty is just one company out of many. The point is that you would do well to find a local dealer and build a relationship.

Mike's comment is on the mark. When I said learn everything you can, I should have added that I learned by spending hours at my favorite dealer, talking, looking, meeting other collectors, and looking at coins, lots of coins. Even today, I have my favorite dealers at the shows and I spend my time and money with them. They make sure I see the items they know interest me and they make sure see I see anything that is of interest, even when they know I can't afford to actually buy the items. I've held and enjoyed many coins far beyond my means thanks to my favorite dealers. I would otherwise never have that opportunity.

Welcome to the hobby and make every effort to enjoy it as much as the rest of us.

(I second the plug for the ANA. I've been a member since 1968, attended their summer seminar as a fresh young kid in 1970 and got know people like Maury Gould, Ed Rochette, Adna Wilde, Herb Bergen, etc., got to handle virtual mink state Pine Tree Shillings, toured the Denver mint, and was off on trip that has kept me happy for a life time. Membership has its benefits as they say.)

Bill and other forum members,

I appreciate not only your comments but weighing in with your vast amount of experience. My enthusiasm is natural for a beginner I think, and I really just want to get the best "bang for my buck", if you will. I look forward to posting a few coins on this website as I get them, and I'll continue to look forward to reading posts and learning as much as i can. thanks again all, for your well thought out comments and advice.

Regards,

Doug

thanks 28 Plain!  BTW, what coin is that under your log-in name?  it looks old and beautiful! 

thanks again!

Doug

I got that image from the website of a dealer who checks in here from time to time. It's a rather rare Victorian Gothic Crown, a proof which was toned a beautiful pale blue when offered on the dealer's site. I think it is an 1853, but don't remember exactly.

If you like airtites, here's my source for them. He'll sell singles or wholesale case lots and has all sizes:

http://www.air-tites.com/ATbulkairtite.htm

Air-Tites.com | Wholesale Air-Tite Coin Capsules & Coin Supplies

Take the time to look at gold from the Netherlands as many collectors over look them so they are a good buy at this time. Know quite a few U.S. collectors buying Netherland silver and gold ducats in just the last week! Beautiful designs and the Dutch tend to strike a thinner planchet thus making a much larger coin! Check them out, both old classics and the new moderns!

I got that image from the website of a dealer who checks in here from time to time.  It's a rather rare Victorian Gothic Crown, a proof which was toned a beautiful pale blue when offered on the dealer's site.  I think it is an 1853, but don't remember exactly.

If you like airtites, here's my source for them.  He'll sell singles or wholesale case lots and has all sizes:

http://www.air-tites.com/ATbulkairtite.htm

Air-Tites.com | Wholesale Air-Tite Coin Capsules & Coin Supplies

thanks 28Plain!

Doogy

Archived