CoinPeople.com

Grading services

silverwood

Hi, I'm an old poster who hasn't been here in quite some time. I had to reregister so maybe that makes me a newbie. Anyway I was hoping to to see if anyone knows something about the the grading service Star Grading Services or SGS? I've never came across them before and was wondering if they are reputable? TIA

SGS? They (aboncom) are technically not a third-party grading service as they sell coins slabbed (well, stickered) by themselves. SGS is infamous for marking up coin grades, sometimes by 10+ points. I would not go near them with a 20 foot pole, if you are going to buy a coin slabbed by them, do not buy it because the label says MS-70, buy it because YOU think it looks nice.

Yes thanks for the reply. I thought that when they have a MS70 grade on a coin and by just viewing the picture which is very basic they aren't worth a darn. Do you mean to tell me that someone actually pays for this service? In all actuality I do like this particular coin and without holding it in my hand and only viewing a photo it could pass for ms65. I would only bid ms63 value though. Hey it has been a long time since I posted here and the whole forum looks a bit different but its good to be back. :ninja:

Here is one excellent advice - buy what's in the plastic tomb and not what it says!

What a label states does not necessarily reflect what the coin is supposed to be.

A good way to pick out the grades would be if you can get a copy of a photograde book (sorry, I am not too sure of this myself but there should be members who know this better) which specificially tells you how grades are catagorized in the top three tier grading companies, PCGS, NGS and ICG and lately ANACS.

top three tier grading companies, PCGS, NGS and ICG and lately ANACS.

You mean NGC right?

Those are the only 4 companies I'd really trust if I were to buy the slab and not the coin. ANACS and NGC are my top choices.

• 7 months later...

I agree with the top 4 coin graders - PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG.

I've seen a lot of SGS and INB - especially on EBAY - these should be avoided. Buy yourself "The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for US Coins" book ($17) and the most current "Coin Value" magazine ($5) - I use these book religiously. Only buy a coin the can be clearly viewed and compared to what is displayed in the Numismatic book - then grading the coin fairly - look up the price in the Coin Value magazine - I always look for a good sale and stay away from the top price.

What about PCI in coin world. I have seen 2 of there slabs and they look good.

Does anyone know something about them?

My opinion: The only "market acceptable" grading services for US coins are NGC and PCGS (also ANACS except for coins in their new style holders). ICG and PCI are heavily discounted though the occasional nice coin can be found in their slabs.

Your insurance policy is to learn to grade coins yourself and never buy sight unseen without a clear return policy.

I have 25 Morgan Dollars I was wanting to get Graded. I have 14 1899-o Sevral of them look like micro O's. My friend bought 1 from me and sent it to PCI and they graded it at MS-64. But he didn't ask the to look for any atrabutions.Some of mine look alot better than his and some a little worse. The mintmark is slanted to the right on About 6 of them. 4 of them you can see without magnification. 2 of them are just not as bold.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived