CoinPeople.com

another couple of 2005 coins now in circulation.

Ian

Got the `Gunpowder Plot' £2 (1605-2005) and three of the 2005 £1 coins in change last night. First of my seeing these in circulation. The only 2005 coin i've yet to spot out there in the wild is the 2005 50p coin. I've had dozens of the St Paul's commemorative £2.

Here's a scan of the 1605-2005 £2 and the 2005 £1

2005.jpg

Other way round Ian for me. I've seen everything from 1p to £1 coin. I've had alot of 50p coins commem and non-commem.

No £2 coins at all though, i've still only had one 2004 £2 coin in change. Don't see two pounders round these parts much. I've had near £30 worth of £1 coins (not all 2004/5 dates) go through my hands this week as there's been a shortage of £5 notes, so i picked a few 2004/5 bridge designs oyut and get this, a FAKE 1988! Well the one design that escaped the forger due to it's scarcity has now finally joined it.

I like the bridge design coins though.

I have the 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, and £1; from a trading partner over there (Ætheling, you know who it is :ninja: ).  Still looking for both the 50p and both the £2.

There's three £2 coins for 2005. The `Gunpowder Plot', the one with St Pauls cathedral on it, and the normal everyday one (which i've not seen in circulation yet).

Ian

:ninja:

What's with Avogadro?

Ah that, yes i was having a debate with someone the other day about that, we were arguing about what the number was exactly (well rounded at up any rate). I stated it was 6.0X10 to the 23. I forget what they said but it was wrong!

So i just wanted to make sure i can remember it exactly for next time, so i figured i put it somewhere where i'm gonna see it alot, and since i'm on here alot. Ah don't ask... ;) (I just like winning arguments, doesn't matter if i'm right or not) ;)

The week before we were arguing about how many stone was in an hundredweight. I said 8 and they said 14, of course i knew i was right!

ok, gotcha.

here it says: 6.0221367 x 10^23

however, here it says 6.02214199 x 10^23

Of course, with current technology, every number is an estimate , as we can't count the number of atoms in 12 g of Carbon-12 yet

Yeah that's as i understand it also, yet is the important word there though.

What's the demand for these 2 pound coins? I would like to start a collection of 2 pound coins in PF condition.

If you mean proof strike, these are only available in the proof sets for each year. Some people break up proof sets but I think you would struggle to find proof £2 coins out there in the wild.

What's the demand for these 2 pound coins? I would like to start a collection of 2 pound coins in PF condition.

If you mean proof strike, these are only available in the proof sets for each year. Some people break up proof sets but I think you would struggle to find proof £2 coins out there in the wild.

Ian is correct. Assuming you are refering to the "commemorative" issues, and not the standard circulation issue, I would recommend collecting the RM folders, issued for all commemorative £2 to date, in BU condition. See my signature for a link to some photos of the few I have. (now that I have the £5 caught up, and recently acquired 3 of the 4 £1 I needed, it is time for me to start searching for some of the £2 folders I am missing)

Sonme silver proof £2 coin though are sold separately! I know i used to have one. They come in little hard case boxes.

Don't forget the silver piedforts too :-). However, from a collecting viewpopoint, if it is only `proof' you are after and you aren't fussed if it is silver or base metal, then you are still better off (price wise) buying the proof set.

I still have some early decimal silver piedfort £2 coins, various £1 including 1983 , various 50P's, change of size 10p's and 5p's, but i've never bought the gold/silver bi-metallic version of the £2.

These days, I don't even bother with UK proof sets. I just keep any commem's taken from circulation and pass them on to people who collect them when I amass more than is healthy to have :-). Hey, maybe my magpie-itis is in remission....

Ian

I have to say i think collecting modern proof sets is, at least challenging and a most probably a waste of time.

I understand that this is simply a matter of personal preference, i state the above not because i dislike modern/proof coins on principle but rather more on a practical level. The mint is turning out so much stuff lately, that it'd be hard work keeping up. The bimet £2 coins were introduced in 1997 and in that year there was just the standard design. Then they started issuing commem designs alongside the standard design. By 2005 they were issuing two commems and a standard design all at the same time.

When you take this into account with all the various versions of proofs available, well it's no small task and if current trends continue it'll probably get worse.

Oh and Kuhli whilst i think on, in answer to a query of yours a few months back, 1999 issues were issued as Rugby commem AND standard design. I myself wasn't sure if any standard design pieces were minted in 1999, however, a few months ago i had one.

Which suggests one of two things; 1) Standard reverse coins were issued, 2) It was a dud.

Oh and Kuhli whilst i think on, in answer to a query of yours a few months back, 1999 issues were issued as Rugby commem AND standard design. I myself wasn't sure if any standard design pieces were minted in 1999, however, a few months ago i had one.

Which suggests one of two things; 1) Standard reverse coins were issued, 2) It was a dud.

cool. will make note of this information with the rest.

There's been standard reverse £2 coins for every year since 1997 as far as I know.

I keep a few of everything but only from circulation. I got fed up with mint and proof sets back in 1997 and at the same time shifted my collecting interests more firmly to `world'.

The interesting thing to me with regards to the bi metals and the ord'nary brass quids is that sometimes you find pieces that are significantly different (darker) in colouration from the norm. Some are quite yellowish others have quite an orange hew. Ever noticed this? I usually hold on to examples for each year at both ends of the colouration scale. ....God alone knows why. Maybe my magpie-itis isn't in remission after all. :-)

PS Still haven't seen the standard reverse £2 for 2005 yet (or the standard 50p).

There's been standard reverse £2 coins for every year since 1997 as far as I know.

Ian,

I had thought so, too, but became skeptical about the 1999's for awhile. All of the BU Mint folders and Proof sets for 1999 only have the Rugby issue (most other years that have commem. £2 will have both pieces in the sets), which raised my question as to whether the standard reverse was issued in 1999. But, alas, Aetheling has squashed my skepticism.

Archived