CoinPeople.com

Dutch Commems 2006: Rembrandt, Australia

tabbs

Next year the Royal Dutch Mint plans to issue two new collector coins. One is dedicated to the artist Rembrandt van Rijn who was born in Leiden 400 years ago (general info at http://www.rembrandt400-leiden.nl/ ). The other one celebrates 400 years of Dutch-Australian relations (general info at http://www.nederland-australie2006.nl/ ).

The Nederland-Australië coin will probably be issued in March/April, the Rembrandt coin should be out in July/August. Details about the designs and denominations have not been published yet. Judging from previous issues, both are likely to come in three versions: €5 silver unc. (available at face), €5 silver proof, €10 gold proof.

Christian

One of my favourite things to do in Netherlands, check out fine art, like in the Rijks Museum.

Never been there but I love Art Museums and Galleries. One of my favorite places to visit.

Trantor_3 Sign me up please.  :ninja:

Ok, so that's one for Ukraine Dvi, one for the bunny, one for Unkown, one for Sir Sisu, one for Crystalk64, one for me of course, not to forget tabbs and I bet Henare wants one too... ;)

Just kiddin'

I'll make a proper signup list later, when ths date of issue gets closer

Ok, so that's one for Ukraine Dvi, one for the bunny, one for Unkown, one for Sir Sisu, one for Crystalk64, one for me of course, not to forget tabbs and I bet Henare wants one too... ;)

Hehe, that was not quite the purpose of the initial message - but with news items like this one I never know whether I should post them here (which is what I do most of the time) or to the "News" forum. But now that you ask ... errm, yes, one each please. :ninja:

Christian

• 5 weeks later...
Ok, so that's one for Ukraine Dvi, one for the bunny, one for Unkown, one for Sir Sisu, one for Crystalk64, one for me of course, not to forget tabbs and I bet Henare wants one too... :ninja:

Just kiddin'

umm, err, yah ... :lol:

Ok, so that's one for Ukraine Dvi, one for the bunny, one for Unkown, one for Sir Sisu, one for Crystalk64, one for me of course, not to forget tabbs and I bet Henare wants one too... :lol:

Just kiddin'

and Ray :ninja:

i didn't realize australia was that old ...

Here is a larger image. No wonder that Australia was "discovered" that late - heck, the entire country is smaller than a queen's head. :ninja:

nl5_890.jpg

Seriously, I think this is a great design. Looks very good, and some details are quite thoughtful: According to the info at the Dutch Mint's site, the mintmaster sign (the sails), for example, is placed at the spot where Willem Janszoon, captain of the ship "The Dove" ('t Duyfken), discovered the Australian coastline. The designer drew the coast lines of the world, using six globes, and added some lines symbolizing Dutch navigation routes.

It will come in three varieties as usual: the regular €5 silver coin, available at face value, a proof silver coin and a proof gold coin. The regular coin should be available in NL as from early April. Also, Australia plans to issue a $5 coin, showing the Duyfken, later this year.

The KNM site says that the image is a design concept, and that the actual design may differ from the depicted one. But I don't think there will be any (significant) changes ...

Christian

Next year the Royal Dutch Mint plans to issue two new collector coins. One is dedicated to the artist Rembrandt van Rijn who was born in Leiden 400 years ago (general info at http://www.rembrandt400-leiden.nl/ ). The other one celebrates 400 years of Dutch-Australian relations (general info at http://www.nederland-australie2006.nl/ ).

The Nederland-Australië coin will probably be issued in March/April, the Rembrandt coin should be out in July/August. Details about the designs and denominations have not been published yet. Judging from previous issues, both are likely to come in three versions: €5 silver unc. (available at face), €5 silver proof, €10 gold proof.

Christian

hopefully the gold Rembrandt will be a work of art like the man himself!

DOug

Mintage figures for the "Australia Fiver":

Silver 5 euro Circulation quality Max. 500,000

Silver 5 euro Proof quality Max. 22,500

Gold 10 euro Proof quality Max. 3,500

Estimated prices:

Silver 5 euro Circulation quality € 5

Silver 5 euro Proof quality € 25

Gold 10 euro Proof quality € 140

I doubt that.

I's more likely to be a portrait of Rembrandt

This is waht they did to commemorate Van Gogh:

Keerzijde%20van-gogh.gif

That's kind of cool.

That's kind of cool.

Definitely. The designer created two portraits (van Gogh and, on the other side, Queen Beatrix) from lots of tiny characters. On the reverse, with the large VINCENT inscription, they all say VAN GOGH. On the observe, BEATRIX can be read right away while her portrait says KONINGIN DER NEDERLANDEN in many mini-letters.

I also assume that the Rembrandt coin will show a portrait rather than one of his works. Possibly a self-portrait, as on the van Gogh or Jan Steen coins. But who knows ... I am looking forward to the "Australia" coin first. :ninja:

Christian

Archived