CoinPeople.com

In your opinion, what is the grade of this coin?

Dads Stuff

Well, it looks like there is a slight rub on the shoulder of the obverse, and if that's the case I would say MS-63RD, if it's just dust or something in the image, then I would probably say MS-65RD or MS-66RD. It is an extremely nice example in any case.

I have at least one for each year and mint mark (I think) beginning in 1934 ending with 1988. They are all just as beautious as this one. Looks like these rascals will not be sold by the bag. Thank you for your opinions.

I have at least one for each year and mint mark (I think) beginning in 1934 ending with 1988. They are all just as beautious as this one.  Looks like these rascals will not be sold by the bag.  Thank you for your opinions.

wow, you're far on the way in completing a full Lincoln collection

One of the most mysterious aspects of coin collecting can be the fine distinctions between higher grades. The difficulty is greatly enhanced when all one has to go with is a picture - even if the picture were 3 times the size and resolution that you posted. The problem is exacerbated by a lack of clear picture guides at the higher grades and, inevitably, some degree of differences in the opinion of even the most respected grading companies.

With that in mind and acknowledging my own lack of expertise, I add the following opinion.

The coin looks beautiful. Well struck and full of luster. To clarify the following, I reproduced your picture below: The most questionable area is the shoulder (as has already been mentioned) and the area near the cheek (black outlines) - this could be signs of very slight circulation or maybe just picture artifact. If there is an interuption in the luster in that area, it can lower the grade. Outlined in blue are the very few marks that I notice - and they are all slight and none seem distracting. The rim looks free of dings as well.

So, an MS65-MS66 would not surprise me, but neither would an AU58. Now, check your guide and look at the exponential price curve in the MS grades. Check out a coin shop or show and compare your coin with ones in the respected grading company slabs and see how it compares.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

37l4zl.jpg

I would say AU58 or MS63/64.

The pictures are real small but there appears to be stuff going on at the shoulder that has been mentioned plus on the bottom front of the coat and the head above the ear. If all of that is nothing but picture artifact, I would grade it higher but it looks like it could be marks or something.

Looks like a mint state coin. From the reverse strike, it could grade rather high if there's no problem with the luster anywhere. Hard to say from a pic, though. Bronze coins can look very different in a pic from the way they look in hand.

Archived