CoinPeople.com

New Jefferson Nickle

2coins

Since I really only collect the older type US coins,I have seen in the past few years these newer coins take off!, I remember going to the bank a few years ago and getting aroung ten rolls of the new Quarters, and then sold them to a coin shop and doubled my money the same day!!!!!I just may get on board and get rolls of these newer coins and hold them!I just dont see how the newer stuff made in the millions can be worth crap??I can see the low mintage on the Indian- Buffalo silver dollar, and being just a nice coin could rise but these common new ones???????

Since I really only collect the older type US coins,I have seen in the past few years these newer coins take off!, I remember going to the bank a few years ago and getting aroung ten rolls of the new Quarters, and then sold them to a coin shop and doubled my money the same day!!!!!I just may get on board and get rolls of these newer coins and hold them!I just dont see how the newer stuff made in the millions can be worth crap??I can see the low mintage on the Indian- Buffalo silver dollar, and being just a nice coin could rise but these common new ones???????

If you can get them at face value, there isn't a lot of downside on speculating short term on them. Just cash them in if they don't do anything. Like you, I did similar with the state quarters. I really don't think the nickels are in the same league as the state quarters for that speculation potential, though. But I could be wrong. :ninja:

How many SATIN Buffalo and Ocean in View nickels have you stashed back? Those will definitely be keepers. Only made in the mint sets and the last report I received was the mint sets were at around 750,000 sold with more on back order. The key here is how many mint sets will be busted open. This mint set (2005) will probably sky rocket very very quickly and the two nickels will probably lead the way as well. As for as the business strikes are concerned I have put back over 100 rolls of each as nickels are cheap so I decided to sit on them until they do something or pass them on to the kids. I have also purchased over 40 proof buffalo and 15 to 20 proof Ocean in View nickels so I am covered regardless of what happens. This all started in 2003 when I bought rolls of the 03 Jefferson nickels as we didn't know if they would return or not. Well Jefferson and Monticello is coming back but the Jefferson obverse is definitely going to be new so the 2003 nickels will probably start to move in the next few months. On top of all of this I absolutely HATE the Jefferson nickel but do love the buffalo! Like I said, they were cheap and I am very patient!

Well, the mintage is so high I can't see them doing any better than the bicentennial coins (you get one in change occasionally, but they are not really worth much over face if not BU). Of course I could be all wrong, after all I was surprised when the buffalo dollars sold out that quick, luckily I got my 2-coin set before the sellout. I do think the satin finish coins will do better however, and in case you all are keeping track, I cut up one of the two mint sets I had for my albums!

I've saved one roll of each. Worst comes to worst I have a roll that cost $2 and is worth $2.25. My dad also saved back a roll of all the state quarters. Mainly because they are something new and different, not that they will be worth $1000 a roll in ten years.

I think it's worth putting a few rolls of each of the moderns aside. If you get them at face, you have little to lose - storage costs & interest.

Some can advance in price rapidly. Just take a look at the 2004P Peace Medal Nickels. Because of the double-die searchers these things are getting a healthy premium already. As has been mentioned before - you can always spend them.

Archived