CoinPeople.com

Ask a dealer a question

LostDutchman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1 It changes but I try to keep it around %10 but sometimes i have none and sometimes i have a bunch....

#2 Any silver coins.....I keep all my common %90 coins and silver dollars in bags and my regulars go through them and find dates they they need...and they get to pay whay my wholesalers do...6 one way half-a-dozen the other

#3 In my personal collection I have NO gold....I like it but I only really like the expensive stuff...and most of the time i am poor...

Matt, I just aquired 3 old brothal tokens that prostitutes use to hand out, these are really cool!! they are about the size of a silver dollar,copper,on the thin side thickness, heres what a few say, (I cant take photos yet)

Obverse:"All night $3.00 check" (2 hearts)

reverse: Adobe concert hall, one first class lady Goldfeild Nevada satisfaction guarateed

2) obverse:"Good for all night" (2 hearts)

reverse:"The Hog Ranch" Good for a $2.00 piece Fort laramie Wyoming

3)obverse:"Good for all night (2 hearts)

reverse:"The China Doll" 10cents>Lookie 25cents> Feelie 50cents Dooie (Chineese letters next to each) Dodge City

Would you or anyone know the value to these?? I know these are very rare!!.

Very cool 2coins! I don't know much about these tokens, but my family has land in Goldfield, it's quite a historic goldrush town that peaked around the turn of the 20th century. They are continually trying to resurrect and reopen the old Goldfield Hotel, which was a marvel for its time and location. Goldfield was a real wild west town, and even Virgil and Wyatt Earp stayed there a while, with Virgil becoming a deputy sheriff. He died in the town in 1906. The town is still around and one of the most visited ghost towns in Nevada. You can learn some of the history here:Link. Given all the gold that's been lost there over the years it would likely be a great place for metal detecting!

Here's a good one I thought of today.

When doing shows, how are you able to keep people from stealing coins? A decent thief could of made off with a nice load of coins today at a show. The dealers really weren't watching too closely. Having 4 tables and one person watching them, something is bound to be stolen.

• 1 month later...

This is the most facsinating topic, I appreciate your time to post responses to people's questions. Unfortunately, I don't have any, but really appreciate you answering the other ones.

Customer service is #1 in any business, in my opinion, and I shop where I'm treated properly. There's a coin shop in my town that I rarely venture into because when I started collection (as a poor youth), I didn't have much money to buy and was largely ignored. Another shop which always took the time to chat with me is one that I visit regularly still to this day.

I'd love to consider opening my own shop one day, but as a collector, I have to agree with other people that I'd have a hard time parting with certain things. I guess I'm not ready yet to do it. Maybe when I'm older. Right now I need my job to pay for my coin hobby!! :ninja:

LostDutchman - Thanks!

Doc: All the time

Jon: your welcome....there is a lot that goes into opening a shop....and you have to be able to let things go...I have owned some things here that I would have never owned as a collector....that's the perk of the job...the awesome coins you get to see....I can't wait for the fun show!!

Burks:

I keep all my coins in cases where some dealers set out bins and books. I don't know if that is a very smart move. I also try to make sure I know the other dealers around me. If I have to leave the table and I can't find a trusted friend to watch it for me...I lock the cases and get back as quickly as I can

• 2 years later...
Here's a question that's been burning a hole in my mind. How do coin dealers always grab the best deals from coin shows, online, other dealer, clients, e.t.c.? You must have a way, otherwise you'd starve to death on the already low profit margins.

How do we get the best coins first?? Its easy... we get there first... at major shows the setup day is an entire day where dealers and only dealers have access to the bourse floor...id guess that %80 of the major deals happen in this time

Do you still collect? Has there ever been a time you just had to have a coin/note for your collection instead of selling it?

Id love to... I honestly would... but a personal collection... no reason... id simply want to keep all of the really nice stuff I come across ... I like to think of my inventory as my personal collection... If I really like something or am attached to it... it just gets priced higher..

maybe one day.. but right now, no

How fast do really rare (like unique) coins sell?

It all depends on who is looking for it... %90 of the truly rare stuff is in tight hands... These are advanced collections with deep pockets... for example until recently almost all of the mint state 1893 S Morgan silver dollars were owned by 1 person.

The rare stuff sells fast usually because it is rare... and people are looking for it... when it comes up for sale it sells fast... the hard part is getting it up for sale...

What % of your inventory is World, Ancient, currency, those lovely little painted coins with the world trade center, or else?

lately my world inventory has been increasing. I would say at the moment its around %20.... ancients I dont do much with and usually lump them in the world group...

Most of my inventory is US coins and currency... and i don't do any coins after 1964 unless they are in mint packaging...

Archived