CoinPeople.com

Ask a dealer a question

LostDutchman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone come in trying to sell you a product that they overpaid for?

Or has anyone polished up their coins before bringing them to you?

Has anyone come in trying to sell you a product that they overpaid for?

Or has anyone polished up their coins before bringing them to you?

#1 Yes it happens quite a bit...older folks buying $.40 worth of coins off the TV for $19.95

#2 Yes I had a guy last week bring me an 1909 S Indian cent he said it was dark so he took some polish to it so you could read it...DOHT!!!!

Three questions:

1) Do you sell often coins on ebay?

2) Do you have a site?

3) What do you think about internet deals (selling or buying coins)?

#1 Not often the fees are getting to be too much

#2 Yes I do still working on it http://www.lostdutchmanrarecoins.com

#3 I think if done properly it can be wonderful...but you have to be careful..I love making trades and sales on the internet and you can sometimes buy nice stuff...

1. Ever pistol whip someone trying to steal coins?

2. If you could own one coin and only one coin to display in your shop, what would it be?

3. Ever bought a fake coin thinking it was real but later learned it to be fake?

4. Anyone try to sell you a fake '33 Double Eagle?

5. How many hours a week do you work?

6. Do people prank you? If yes, proceed to question 7.

7. What's the best prank someone has pulled on you over the phone?

1. Ever pistol whip someone trying to steal coins?

2. If you could own one coin and only one coin to display in your shop, what would it be?

3. Ever bought a fake coin thinking it was real but later learned it to be fake?

4. Anyone try to sell you a fake '33 Double Eagle?

5. How many hours a week do you work?

6. Do people prank you? If yes, proceed to question 7.

7. What's the best prank someone has pulled on you over the phone?

#1 Nope

#2 1895 Proof Morgan Dollar

#3 Not that I know of.

#4 Haven't seen one of those before

#5 Scheduled 40 but I stay late a lot of nights and work on some Sundays at shows so more like 55

#6 Not yet

I, for one, appreciate it. :ninja: I don't often get to hear much about the other side of the counter.

I agree ... Thank You !!!

Now my question: Is there a difference in your markup for, say, older liteside material (pre-1857) versus, say, pre 1850's British coins?

I agree ... Thank You !!!

Now my question:  Is there a difference in your markup for, say, older liteside material (pre-1857) versus, say, pre 1850's British coins?

I wish I had an answer for you on that one....Right now with the shop like it is I don't have a lot of room to expand to world coinage tho I would love to. Give me a few months and I might be able to answer that for you.

:ninja:

I could care less how old he is. If he knows his stuff, that is all that matters to me.

Not everyone has easy access to a shop, much less a good shop. I have been to a few and some of the "shops" that are on this site; Blackhawk, 28P, etc are the tops. However, hearing from a true brick&morter shop is a seperate matter. I enjoy this thread.

The brick and mortar shops are that of a dying breed....in my area there used to be 20+ shops now there are 3 "true" coin shops that open their doors for business day in and day out. I think that one thing that doomed the ma and pop coin shop was the advent of the internet and the unwillingness of the older people running shops to embrace it. I come from a different generation. I understand that the internet is a great resource for anyone who knows how to use it.

When you go to shows, is it more for the dealer to dealer transactions or for the retail business?

It really depends on the show and who is there. For example I set up at a show last weekend with a dealer friend of mine. The public appearence was lacking so I went shopping. But if there had been more people there it would have been different...it really depends on the show tho

I'm 44 years old and just in the last year became more seriously interested in coin collecting, I think its a facinating hobby. I don't care who answers my questions, 16 years old or 65 doesn't matter to me, a desire for coin collecting inspires young and old to gather knowledge and share it. I would be terribly insulted if someone told me I was too old to start collecting. Age is only a number, its enthusiasm and a love for coin collecting that contributes to the hobby of numismatics. Thank you LostDutchman for your contribution.

You are very welcome...

Rant time!

I get tired of people telling me that I am too young to do this. I have been collecting coins for 15 years and dealing since I was 16. I get it all the time at shows from older guys "You run a coin shop??? but your just a baby!" If there is anyone out there that thinks that a younger person can't run a shop I challenge you to come on in. These old guys think that the hobby of coin collecting ends with them. HA! As for you papajerk...If I choose to try to help fellow collectors (yes I am a collector I am not just out to make a buck) that's my own business and if you don't like then I suggest you don't read this post anymore.

Guest 50cents

In my time I have been to quite a number of coin shops own by rude old men. More than once I have left the shops with a pocket full of money. It would be an real nice to go into a shop with a owner like you.

Young or old should not matter as long as you are honest and fair. Thank you Matt for a great post...

I like this thread!

Do you allow wiggle room with your prices?

Do you import mint and proof sets from foreign countries? No one around here does.

Do you think the Indiana statehood quarter is lame? :ninja:

Of coins that you have bought off people who came in off the street, what is your favorite one that you kept for yourself?

I like this thread!

Do you allow wiggle room with your prices?

Do you import mint and proof sets from foreign countries?  No one around here does.

Do you think the Indiana statehood quarter is lame? :ninja:

Of coins that you have bought off people who came in off the street, what is your favorite one that you kept for yourself?

#1 Yes you have to, I like it when people counter offer to my prices...because I get to recounter...it's fun!

#2 No, But that's a good idea....I will have to check into that

#3 YES! one of the worst! Woohoo a racecar and some corn.....might as well have tossed a pickup truck and a shotgun on there while they were at it.

#4 The double struck Indian head cent I posted a few weeks ago. I have always wanted one.

Do you import mint and proof sets from foreign countries?  No one around here does.

Don't mean to butt in, but I think the reason is probably because there's not enoungh of a market, which would result in:

1. Stupendous mark-up

2. Too much time involved. Most markups for even domestic mint products are very marginal (often a few dollars, if even), so to stock current foreign sets would likely result in a considerable loss in both time and money.

Archived