CoinPeople.com

1767 10 Kopeks Siberia ? Novodel...

extant4cell

Very nice modern coin, marked N. Seller claims that this is a modern official Novodel.

Definitely not made with the original dies, but with novodels' it is possible.

Does anyone know if this is an official Novodel or just another skilful counterfeit (however nice it may be)?

Worthless, indeed :yes: Not even similar to the real thing.

I heard that they were (maybe are still being) made for tourists and fleamarkets.

Sigi

-

Thank you for your answers. I am aware of replicas of these 10 kops, but the ones I came across before had a lot cruder detail. This is the first one with "N stamp" and a lot finer details that I found. A very tricky coin. Seller on eBay sells 3 "novodel" coins. All 3 with "N" and all 3 with finer details to the previously noted replicas (by me). I guess the counterfeiters’' techniques have improved. ;) Seller mentions in his listing that a coin just like his was sold by Conros auction, can that be true or is this another fable, does anyone know?

Replica. They came out about 10 years ago, all with that little "H" stamp. Nothing official -- the only reason it is not a fake is that it is marked...

Thank you for this info :read: . I checked eBay and Molotok.ru (ala' Russian eBay) and couldn't find any similar coins being sold recently. Replica is a good name for it, but I would probably call it a fake of novodel, as if they didn't try to pass it as novodel they should have stamped it with "replica" or "copy" as they do on some Roman / Greek replicas I've seen. In any case, before it is proven to be a novodel to me, it is another fairytale coin production to me that someone is trying to cash in on... :doh:

Sorry for double posts... :bhyper: I found another "fake replica" (since not stampt as "replica") without "N" stamp. Somebody made a fake Novodel from a fake coin... At least this seller doesn't ask for big $$$ ;)http://molotok.ru/5-kopeek-1767-71-i2757747037.html :yuk: Anothe FAKE!

Thank you for your answers. I am aware of replicas of these 10 kops, but the ones I came across before had a lot cruder detail. This is the first one with "N stamp" and a lot finer details that I found. A very tricky coin. Seller on eBay sells 3 "novodel" coins. All 3 with "N" and all 3 with finer details to the previously noted replicas (by me). I guess the counterfeiters’' techniques have improved. ;) Seller mentions in his listing that a coin just like his was sold by Conros auction, can that be true or is this another fable, does anyone know?

Actually, a lot of them came with that H stamp. At that time, at flee markets, terms Novodel and Fake/Replica were completely interchangeable. Fakes were routinely called Novodels, and no one meant it as a reference to the 18th/19th century mint struck Novodels. It was just a polite way of referring to a coin that is not genuine. I think that left a bad taste in Russia for actual Novodel coins.

BTW, I assume you know that the officially struck novodels did not have any such counterstamps.

...Novodels. It was just a polite way of referring to a coin that is not genuine. I think that left a bad taste in Russia for actual Novodel coins...

This is sad... And confusing... I didn't follow the market for about 3 years due to family issues, so was wondering if I missed anything and they issued minted novodels. This is very sad that word novodel was used in such way, as there are some beautiful official novodels...

BTW, I assume you know that the officially struck novodels did not have any such counterstamps.

Yes I know that, but in this century with all sorts of laws and regulations, sometimes meaningless, but that must be followed, who knows what the real novodel coin would really look like would it be produced nowadays...

these pieces with H - were made in coin shop in Russia for its local and school museums; it was discussed long time ago on all forums and in journal of RNS; looks like some found or purchased stock of it :yes:

these pieces with H - were made in coin shop in Russia for its local and school museums; it was discussed long time ago on all forums and in journal of RNS; looks like some found or purchased stock of it :yes:

I believe they were sold/distributed in a set. All coins in the set have the same "H" countermark.

Also, listed in Brekke supplement section on Fakes.

Replica. They came out about 10 years ago, all with that little "H" stamp. Nothing official -- the only reason it is not a fake is that it is marked...

Correct .I see first time with letter "H" about 17-20 years ago , was purchasing from Germany.

at that time it was easy to bring them over there (Germany) and sell/re-sell world-wide as russia was still close to the west

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting enough, but one of these "H" ("novodel") coins was on Hess-Divo AG 3 years ago: http://www.mcsearch.....html?id=358934 ;) Was removed from sale... And one on Kunker (probably from similar series): http://www.mcsearch.info/record.html?id=350122...

I can't tell if it's problem free - the picture is too blurry. But I think it has nothing to do with Siberian copper.

I didn't try to imply that ;) , just another questionable piece that I found. A few years ago I was looking into one of the fake roubles like this one, so I was wondering if that was the one... I recently run into a few fakes that were sold by Auction houses as coins. So far all of them were removed from sale as far as I know. I guess people tell them to question the coin after they release the catalog. Are there any known fakes that gone through the sale that you know of?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if it wasn't sold then (http://www.mcsearch.info/record.html?id=358934), it will be in just 40 min-s (price already at $430! - crazy!): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230895201484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230895199897?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 in 35 min, and already at $86!

Bet that 10k will go for about 500! and 5k for around $150 :hysterical: