CoinPeople.com

1767 10 Kopeks Siberia ? Novodel...

extant4cell

Not really. It's worth something to some if they are ignorant.

It's like, when Cook came to islanders and to aboriginal people using cheap (for him) shinny staff for trade, was making big savings! The thing is though, it was good for both parties. For Aborigines these things were out of their world, and very rare, not copies of something they already saw before. However, if people are happy to pay money for this, it makes them happy, be it, how else will they learn? Mistakes are great teachers! Expensive mistakes are even better teachers. There are different capacities for learning though, so there will always be fools as much as some very smart people.

Theses people are not on a remote island to be going on a gut feeling solo, they should have invested a little bit of money / time into researching this "rare" 10 kopecks (kopeks, kopeken, kopeek, kopek) of 1796 with "H" (N) mark - for a supposed "Novodel", and same with the Siberian 5 kopecks of 1767. They could have bought this book for example: http://www.ebay.com....=item45fd1b0a07 , or at least did what I did (since I was not collecting for a while and was not aware of recent developments) and ask questions (see the start of this topic).

I'd rather feel like a fool on a forum, than pay loads of money for a worthless fantasy coin that resembles something rare, but was produced only a few years ago from the dies made by someone unknown, who has no relation to any of the official mints, but thinking that it was a NOVODEL coin!

I write all this here mostly for the benefit of the next person that may be interested in these coins or some other coins from the same e-Bay seller (collectresale) and do a bit of a research first. Unfortunately, demand creates supply, so we may see more of these coins popping up soon, trying to fetch a good price.

The lesson is, I guess, "Don't buy before you research"!!!